roadie components on mtbs

crud

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
hi

im rebuilding my '93 British Eagle Shadow (back when they made semi-decent bikes)

it had full deore lx groupset (the black one)

anyway it came fitted OEM with a Shimano 105 headset, quite strange to spec that? its a 1" threaded i thought there would be a lot of other options at the time...

anyway, is it up to the job or should i be looking to replace it with an mtb specific jobbie?

thanks.

Don't know about headsets but I would have thought that it would have been OK. I know that dirt jumpers and downhillers sometimes use road derailleurs. So I guess they have a certain amount of strength for off-road use.

to be honest iv had the bike since new and this headset has been fine, with some new races it will be as good as new, just checking it wasnt an odd thing to do (cant trust british eagles judgement on these matters!)

i wouldnt have mentioned it but after a clean 'Shimano 105' is still clearly visible so when i add it to readers bikes i didnt want a ripping ;) :oops:

Iirc some of the Offroads/early Proflexs had road rear mechs on them (Ultegra I think).

BITD a headset was a headset. It was actually quite common for MTBs to run 105 or Ultegra parts in the name of weight saving.

MTB headsets now are probably burlier and better sealed but back then... nobody cared, or knew any better.

Used Mavic rear road mechs then ultegras on all my MTB's up until my last two builds. Still use road blocks on my back wheel still.

Nothing like spinning up hills with a 12-23 on the back.

I'm pretty sure my '93 Shadow came with an LX headset. It definately wasn't a 105. Doesn't mean they all popped out of the factory the same though.

Was a well priced bike - Full LX groupset, including wheels. Bars, stem bar ends and seatpost were all pretty cheap steel units. I quickly swapped them out. The frame and forks went a year or so later, replaced with an Orange Prestige. Moved all of the components over.

Back