Why did Pace change their manufacturing?

LeeDevelopment

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Obviously there's a lot of devout followers, including myself as I used to (and still do in some retrospects) lust after the Pace frames. Does anyone know why they swapped over to Taiwanese manufactured frames?

Pardon me here, but I feel their new frames just look like anything else on the market, they seem to have lost the 'speciality' and the 'cutting edge' of what they used to produce.

Same reason Dyson buggered off to the far east to make his hoovers ( sic ) and made all his welsh workers redundant; COST. Same product made by machines or poorer paid workers. Money, some folks just can't get enough of the stuff.

their only welder went to live in austrailia which forced them to look for a new guy but they then realised that part of the company wasn't making money, then matt, the rep, left and went back to the motorbike trade. then they had troubles with quality and getting hold of someone to make reliably their carbon legs ( they came from spain at the time) then dt came knocking about the time they had designed the newer frames and like has been said it's cheaper manufacturing costs in the far east with no loss of quality and greater numbers.

shame but poo happens :(

you know you are dealing with a small outfit when the welder and rep leave and the business has to change that dramatically!

its such a shame. the old paces ooze class (and i have never even seen one in the flesh!) my mate has a new one (rc303??) and it is clearly a lovely machine but the pace sticker seems just a sticker.

Yes, everything evolves.

And I knew it would be down to money but thought there may have been a little bit more to it and Jonnyboy666 cleared it up for me.

Have been on the racing circuits for god knows how long and used to be in awe of the Pace bikes both the hard tails and later their DH frames (one of which is still for sale in the London Bridge branch of On Your Bike surprisingly!!).

Now that the frames are made in Taiwan they have lost all of the 'trademarked' ("we do things differently and we stand out") character of their frames....yet again, as also said, the new machines are much loved. However still 'standardised'.

Me too, didn't know half that stuff...I guess the welder you refer to is Duncan McDonald...wouldn't it be great to track him down in Oz and get his take on the whole Pace development...

I feel really lucky to own a Pace...not ridden the new ones, but as previously said, they just seem to have lost something along the way...

But as long as there's a hardcore following of Pace devotes, it'll never really die... ;)

Rich

Back