Why did Pace change their manufacturing?

just quoting what i was told, i asked matt, the former rep about the frames, then he was supposed to come and see us at the shop (this was several years ago now) but phoned instead saying he was leaving the company.

as far as the forks go i think the move of production to dt swiss will improve things but even though the frames are designed by pace still i think they are horrible (no offence to any owners! i'm sure some of you hate my orange fetish!) having ridden one!

also as a shop (before i left) we decided not to sell their products anymore due to their newer w*nky attitude. we had been a dealer since god was a boy, always stocked the forks, grease, t shirts, jackets, some frames etc, the full monty and for a small dealer that was alot. then one day just before the dt thing was announced i went to order a pair of forks they said ok but you have to pay upfront, something they had never done before, because we had an account for 18 years! we grumbled but paid and sold the forks to the customer, we then realised it was to keep the accounts tidy for the impending takeover. then all the c type stuff was launched, loads of people enquired and people asked for forks, and even though we had IN STOCK frames, forks etc they said to be a c type dealer we had to order and stock frames, forks and other bits to a high value, iirc it was 1 new full suss frame and 2 hardtails(already had) and 10 forks and pay up front!

as you can imagine the choice was made to push rockshox and marzochhi instead!

the next thing we knew they decided they wanted 25 premier dealers in the country to stock everything,and only those premier dealers could get c type stuff, those dealers were the big guns, crc, je james, evans etc. companies that can throw 20 grand at pace without a thought.

after 18 years as a loyal dealer we were pissed. haven't dealt with them since. and all servicing went to tim
(former service guy at pace iirc) at fork english who i believe posts on here.

it all still chapps my ass now.

sorry for the grumble

I've heard a few people grumble about Pace customer service, but that's a shocker.... :shock:

Maybe in the end it really did just become a money spinning business (which to be fair is what a company is all about), never thought it'd happen to Pace though... :cry:

Rich

Rich, it was Dean the latter day frame builder who left for Oz[He's now back and lives around the corner from me] and development of the "overseas" frame had already started[Dean welded the prototypes]. Duncan MacDonald left in about 1997/98 after differences of opinion in Pace's future as far as I know, and now does small engineering work in his workshop at home in a village near here. He does a lot with classic trials bikes and did quite well in the Scottish this year.
So who do you work for then Jonnyboy? :D

just a bike shop down here but you get to know people in the trade and they throw out bits of info, especially if you have a grumble at them for a change(and drop) in service.

i consider myself a loyal person and look for it in others aswel, so it gets my goat when companies sort of stitch people up, there are bike brands and products i simply won't buy just becuase of how these companies have treated the smaller dealers or companies i feel have sold out. i wouldn't buy a modern kona or gt for example or any cannondale or felt or cube, even though i have owned these brands before, they all got sold when those companies pissed me off. the reps used to come in and say how are you getting on with your bike? i'd say i sold it coz you pissed me off, it gave me a good opening to have a grumble if i thought they deserved it!

Pace went 'wrong' a long while ago when Duncan MacDonald left....last time they made a good (their best?) fork too :cry: :cry:

Ah, tragic eh. I want to like the new pace, it seems to get alright reviews, but but it just looks a bit 'cheap' and anon.

I notice Curtis have brought out a 'desingned in the UK/England/Britain' type frame too. :?

I guess the buyers are often voting with their wallets, what can ya do.

Back