Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:22 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:24 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Location: Wherever it is, I'm being just that little bit more Lance
Hi All,

Looking for advice. I could do with replacing the Pace RC31s on my Merlin. What can folks recommend for a rigid, 420mm-440mm A/C, disc fork? I've asked Pace if they've got any RC31s hidden in the warehouse but not had a reply yet. One option is to get a decent steel set made then fit and forget.

Cheers,

Tad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:13 pm 
Retro Guru

That's maybe your best option. I have a pair of Spinner Project 2 pattern, disc and canti mounts, 410mm a-c. . 185mm threadless steerer. Very clean, new green enamel. Thing is, apart from being a bit short for you they're not that light. Nothing like as heavy as the On One monsters or similar though. I could measure and weigh them if you're interested.
If you had a set made though, you could talk to the builder about the tubes available, length, trail, etc. and have the best. Probably be a couple of hundred or so though, at a guess, but should certainly be worth it.
I've had a look at what's available myself, wouldn't mind swapping out the Indy SLs on one of my bikes but couldn't find anything worth buying.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:16 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

What's wrong with the pace forks you have on there now? I have a ti DBR axis tt currently wearing a set of rc31 c-type ti forks which are lovely, but technically a bit long for the frame. I might also be swapping them out for some rc39s that I recently acquired.

I could be tempted with a trade if yours are shorter a2c than mine, which if memory serves is 420-440 ish. What version are yours?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:05 am 

ishaw wrote:
What's wrong with the pace forks you have on there now? I have a ti DBR axis tt currently wearing a set of rc31 c-type ti forks which are lovely, but technically a bit long for the frame. I might also be swapping them out for some rc39s that I recently acquired.

I could be tempted with a trade if yours are shorter a2c than mine, which if memory serves is 420-440 ish. What version are yours?

Mine are 440s. Nothing wrong with them, I've ridden them for about three years but they are a touch long then in the back of my mind I don't know the history of them and being carbon...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:28 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Personally I'm a fan of Salsa cromotos, I've used them on two of the fleet and been very pleased with them. They're good looking too in my opinion :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:41 pm 
Old School Grand Master

EXotic from CarbonCycles. I've run them for a couple of winters now and am very pleased. They aren't as light as Pace (IIRC) but a pal of mine did manage to crack the Pace crown.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:36 pm 

mynchiboy wrote:
Personally I'm a fan of Salsa cromotos, I've used them on two of the fleet and been very pleased with them. They're good looking too in my opinion :)

I've been thinking Cromotos or Vicious.