Brushed Aluminuium Finsih for Future Build Paint Job

BrushedAluminium

Retro Guru
Ive got a build in my mind that im thinking to get started on soon, But I have a few questions first before I can can make a decision about the finish.
By finish I mean paintwork or similar. Im not going to divulge the frame or bike identity for the minute but I can share my ideas.

1) I have always liked the option of a partial painted Ti frame I have only ever seen it done a couple of times and both option were Kona builds. Of course this is a bit of a taboo subject as raw titanium's such a beautiful finish why would anyone paint it but I am maybe thinking of working with Aluminum.

Is it possible to get a brushed aluminum finish similar to Titanium. By brushed I mean scratched with very fine 3m emery paper or similar. brushed Titanium loks so much better than polished.

A BRUSHED titanium frame looks something like this:

brushed.JPG

A POLISHED TItanium frame looks something like this:

https://live.staticflickr.com/2425/3733 ... d61c_n.jpg

would it be possible to brush finish an Aluminum frame? and maybe finish it with a clear coat lacquer? Finally Im thinkinng about a partial painted and brushed finshed so maybe a partial paint job similar to one of these two Ti frames.

PHOTOS Borrowed from various google links - Thank you OP

711014d1359601749t-97-kona-king-kahuna-painted-like-97-hot-kona-hot-2.jpg

644552d1317686343-kona-titanium-singlespeed-kona.jpg

King%20Kahuna%20SandB_R240915_zpsbdrd0gqo.jpg

file.php

To Sum Up:
=======

Im thinking about creating a similar partial paint brushed metal finished on an aluminum frame with a coat or 2 of clear coat to seal it. The frame is a high end frame and I would plan to use a professional frame painter.
Polished ALu frames dont do it for me, Ive owned a few Zaskars and a few other similar polished Alloy frame and as great as tey were at somepoint in the 90s they never seem to lo so good these days.

Re: Brushed Aluminuium Finsih for Future Build Build

You can do it but Ti is virtually corrosion proof, Aluminium is the opposite, oxidising in 20 seconds from being clean. All those micro scratches that are the brushed finish double the surface area. So if you do it, you will need to find a way to control the corrosion. Anodising is one way but will diminish the brushed effect, laquering will protect for a while but eventually fails and it will need to be applied as soon as possible post brush finishing.

Some mid 90s Mountain cycle san andreas came like this and the factory manual said to touch it up when it tarnished with a scotchpad.

It actually lasts quite well, and a layer of car wax over it helps protect it for longer.

Back