building your own wheels

yes
great
spokey

:)

Check out Sheldon Browns guide - all you need to know there. Take your time and its fine. Not rocket science, despite what some would have you believe.

Had a fair few goes and find it very rewarding even theraputic.
The book by Roger Musson is very good and gives lots of helpful instruction

I too used a Spokey and have since bought a nipple driver and truing rig/dishing tool

Just don't rush and lace it all up carefully before tensioning and truing also only make small adjustments.
Hardest thing (I found :oops: ) was working out which way you need to turn the spoke key to tighten/loosen when working on different parts of the wheel

Good luck and enjoy if you have a dabble

I have also built a number of wheels/sets with good results. I use a simple truing stand and dishing tool. Indeed it's not rocket science, and with the guidance provided by e.g. Sheldon you'll be fine.

But there are more variables to lacing and tensioning than what is listed in the standard guides. And FWIW in my experience the real quality is not in what to do (the plan) but rather it's about how well you do it. Science and craftsmanship melt into a form of "art" that is wheelbuilding. And hence I have some nice wheelsets laced up by Pro's too.

Some of the advice I was given for my first attempt: get good tools, take your time and stick to 3x lacing and brass nips (it's stronger, easier and more forgiving). And FWIW2 my results improved notably when I started religiously stress relieving the wheel under construction. I use a pressing technique with the spokes resting on roll of ductape.

Go for it!

never used a jig built loads of wheels and only bent 1 wheel...ie fritton frickin woods earlier this year...... :p

yes built about a dozen now. Very therapeutic... WHEN IT GOES RIGHT. When it goes tits up it can be very frustrating e.g. when I bought some hubs and asked the shop to provide correct length spokes to match and only after lacing both hubs uo did I realise they weren't gonna be long enough.

stevet1":pbjtpm5s said:
yes built about a dozen now. Very therapeutic... WHEN IT GOES RIGHT. When it goes tits up it can be very frustrating e.g. when I bought some hubs and asked the shop to provide correct length spokes to match and only after lacing both hubs uo did I realise they weren't gonna be long enough.

Use this: http://www.dtswiss.com/SpokesCalc/Welco ... anguage=en

I've only built four wheels, soon to be five when the bits arrive. As said it's not rocket science, just take your time (goes without saying on your first build).

I use a wheel building stand but if you've got a decent frame you could use that I guess. I'm no fast builder, 2 to 2.5 hours for me and a re-tension after the first ride when it sounds like you've got spokey dokeys running up and down your spokes! :D

Average Mark":33jetknt said:
is that cause it's the only time youve ridden off road Gibble? ;)
no its because he had his green tyres on lol
sorry pal couldnt resist ;)
you should buy my panaracer xc pro with the red band way cooler :cool:
ill even do them cheaper for you just to save the bike the shame lol

rob

Back