What is 'retro'

NakedGav

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ok, I'd imagine this has been discussed on here many times before but as I'm new I'm hoping you'll let me off ! :LOL:
Been discussing retro builds with a mate of mine and I have a Giant which is over 10 years old now but I still don't feel like it's a true 'retro' despite it looking old compared to today's machines.
However, the bikes I had before this which are only a couple of years older feel much more retro.
So, is it simply an age thing or is it more to do with the reminiscing that they inspire ?
What does it for me is the parts that I lusted after when I was just a lad and couldn't afford them, of which there are some stunning examples on here.

I was thinking about this the other day and came to the conclusion that what's regarded as retro is dependant on the age group, i think a large number on here are in their 30's (i'm 37), retro to this age group seems to be the early to mid 90's as it represents their best memories (maybe a favourite or first bike or favourite rider), it's also being able to afford bikes or parts now that were prohibitively expensive back then but are now only slightly prohibitively expensive :) .

I'd say up to late 90's, ie 10yrs back.
If you say pre v brake, then that's all of my bikes out :LOL:
That doesn't bother me. Neither would it bother me if the bikes were considered retro. I like them, they just happen to be from an era of bikes that i really like ;)

how about a bike that isnt matt black and looks the same as all the other bikes out there with no discernable difference betwixt the cheapie crap model and their top o the range bike...small amount of sarcasm.... :D

Back