cycling on the roads

konahed

Kona Fan
Anyone else hate it? I love cycling but I hate cycling with cars etc going past, feeling like you're holding them up and never sure if they're seen you properly.

And it's similar when I'm driving I hate cyclists because so many of them dont know they highway code properly, or dress in dark clothing with no lights. imo there should be separate cycle paths in towns.

konahed":3c3den0m said:
feeling like you're holding them up...And it's similar when I'm driving I hate cyclists because so many of them dont know they highway code properly...

Agree with the issue of not being seen.

At risk of starting a war, I don't feel like I'm holding them up anymore than they feel they're holding me up during rush hour. Agree about the dark clothing thing. At least where I live, take a look at the number of drivers who make proper stops at stop signs/lights. Every $*$('ing day I have to swerve around them (and sometimes have to stop while I have the green light) at the intersections where the bike path crosses and look at how many people actually follow the speed limit on an expressway/motorway. I would say that 99.7% of the people, while they know the highway code, ignore it and frequently ignore for almost the entire duration of their drive. Let the holy war begin.

perfectly happy riding on the roads regardless of the situation, rode in london recently, no accidents so it was an absolute laugh!!

but as a driver and cyclist i hate it when i see the non cyclist riding, they are the ones that give us a bad name and frustrate me, they ride like nothing else matters around them either because they don't care or don't know what they are doing.

I hate junctions,they scare the willies out of me,straight roads are ok,even in heavy traffic,i hog a whole lane ,i will never tuck myself into the kerb side as this encourages drivers to squeeze through
Bloody car drivers moan -you use the pavements-you dont obey traffic lights
But when you use the road as a road user ie a whole lane, they moan about that too,and say -you should ride next to the kerb

:roll: cant win

I just dont think it works having large fast vehicles and small cyclists on the same road together. And a lot of cyclists seem to think it's ok to go two abreast when it isnt actually allowed.

To cycle on the roads you dont need to pass any tests or have any insurance.

Russell":31olpcbf said:
Eye contact, confidence and defensive positioning, thats what its all about :)

And assume everyone driving a motor vehicle is a complete idiot that could kill you in an instant ;)

Being a car driver and an HGV driver i dont mind cyclists, just something you have to deal with when driving, it's the impatient selfish and ignorant car/lorry/bus/taxi drivers that complain about cyclists.

Only cyclist i ever shouted at when i was driving was one that was pressing the buttons for the pedestrian lights as he rode down the pavement, not stopping at any just pressing all the buttons as he rode past :x ) one of those sets had a camera at it (to catch cars going through the red)

konahed":1locltjs said:
a lot of cyclists seem to think it's ok to go two abreast when it isnt actually allowed.
Time for a Highway Code refresher? Riding two abreast is allowed.

one-eyed_jim":gjpw9nsc said:
konahed":gjpw9nsc said:
a lot of cyclists seem to think it's ok to go two abreast when it isnt actually allowed.

Thats not true... the highway code says

"never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends"

refresher over ;)

Russell":34i3khob said:
one-eyed_jim":34i3khob said:
Thats not true... the highway code says

"never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends"

refresher over ;)
Explicitly, riding two abreast is allowed. You clipped "You should" from the part you quoted. "You should ... never ride more than two abreast"

The Highway Code uses YOU MUST where a law applies, otherwise it only gives advice. So while there are times when one should ride single file, it's always allowed.

Back