High volume/collector bike storage ideas?

TOMAS

Senior Retro Guru
I'm sure a lot of you can relate... so it's got a little bit daft now in terms of numbers of bikes I have in my collection, it reached double figures quite a while ago and I thought it was daft then, it's got dafter.

So the Mrs would kindly welcome me to sell a load off, however I've not had my fuss out of them yet! Me and a joiner friend were going to devise a 2-tier wooden racking system, where I essentially load them in like a retro CD player, stems loosened and bars turned at 90 Degrees...

However I met a guy a few weeks back who had a system where he effectively had a long horizontal pole (looked just like a long scaffold pole) and just hung them all by nose of the saddle, with the back wheel in the air, I figure I could do this and also turn the bars to squish (carefully) them all in together?

Anybody else with any other simple and effective ideas? It doesn't need to be for display as i'm way past display abilities with the size of collection I have. Ideally any pictures would be helpful. I was prev hanging each vertically by front wheel from a hook in the wall, but i'm finding this quite fiddly and awkward when they are mounted close together.

Cheers, Tom

Re:

I bought a 6 bike rack, made of box steel and wall mount. Has hooks for 6 bikes which are hung by the wheels. The top acts as a shelf which I've stored spare wheels in wheel boxes.

The rest of my collection is either stood against the garage walls, or in bike boxes (frames at least), and many, many other boxes on shelves or free standing.

Frankly, aside from the rack, it's all a bit tricky, knowing where parts are or simply getting to them is a real pita. Even the racked bikes as there is so much stuff in front of them.

I need to get down to just the racked bikes and then there's the families bikes.....

It's a challenge us collectors face. At some point in the next year or two I will be losing the garage, not sure what I'll do then.

I'm upto around 14-16 bikes now inc modern day stuff and daughters/Mrs bikes, the storing of parts and wheels isn't a problem, they are in those h/d plastic boxes and stacked 5 foot high in a corner lol. It's the bikes that are the issue, i've got a double garage and must subconsciously think I need to fill the bugger!

I have them on the wall, have them in a metal floor rack, have them leant up against the rollcabs, have them leaning on another wall, I just need some order and figure one massive long rack might be the best way forward but then that leaves wasted space above them... then I start to think a 2-tier system would work better lol!

I was over the west end the other day and noticed a racking system like you're describing outside an underground station.

2 tiers with slots and a grooved channel the bike sits on, which slides back and forth, like a drawer runner :?
I got the impression though didnt see anyone loading it was you pull the channel out, lift your bike onto it, then secure and slide it back in.

Maybe take a look down your local central station for something similar.

Do they need to all be assembled ?. can you maybe just make some big storage boxes for frame, wheels and bits. To rebuild isnt a hugely long task, and it could solve a fair bit of your space problem by freeing up some from the stored ones.

Definatly take up less room as parts

I have dismantled a few of my bikes as my built bikes were taking up too much space.

I am intrested in those plastic boxes you store your wheels in TOMAS have you got a link?

I am now looking into solutions to hang frames around the walls.

mark

mkone":35v4779r said:
Definatly take up less room as parts

I have dismantled a few of my bikes as my built bikes were taking up too much space.

I am intrested in those plastic boxes you store your wheels in TOMAS have you got a link?

I am now looking into solutions to hang frames around the walls.

mark

The boxes don't hold wheels, just other components... My wheels are currently hung from a rafter on twisted 'S' hooks. I have so many odd wheels it's driving me crackers haha

I have staggered hooks high/low hanging from the front wheel (usually), can get 8 bikes in a 2.4 metre space all with easy access. All the bikes are stored ready to go. Then a large shelf above with the less regularly needed stuff on it.

Only downside is it went up before the latest trend of long wheelbase 29ers started, so two of the newer bikes have to be hung front wheel down or they are all over the place, can't move the rack up or i loose my shelf space!

Did see a sliding rail system a while ago. Hook the bike up and slide it along. That would probably get me another 2 or 3 bikes in the space i have.

Re:

I've got four or five bikes hung by front/rear wheels from ceiling hooks, alternating hanging by front or rear wheels you can fit quite a few in a small space as the handlebars don't clash with one another.

Ultimately though I think the real answer to your problem is to sell a few bikes, how many actually get used regularly? How many do you actually "need"?

Selling would be the simpler solution, and probably keep SWMBO happy as well ;)

Re: Re:

jimo746":1bb5ggoe said:
I've got four or five bikes hung by front/rear wheels from ceiling hooks, alternating hanging by front or rear wheels you can fit quite a few in a small space as the handlebars don't clash with one another.

Ultimately though I think the real answer to your problem is to sell a few bikes, how many actually get used regularly? How many do you actually "need"?

Selling would be the simpler solution, and probably keep SWMBO happy as well ;)

How many bikes do I 'need'... none, I have a car... I've pretty much reached my limit now, will swap a few up but don't really need the collection any bigger than what it is, unless I buy a mansion and go all out moviestar Robin Williams style, he was an avid collector of bikes! I've got the wall hooks hanging staggered alternate about 1 foot difference in height, which does work well but they are currently too widely spaced apart and I think if I cram them closer together it's gonna be a pain, I do like the idea of the curtain rail/hook system as mentioned above... unfortunately I imagine import duty from the States will cost a lot but saying that, a high horizontal scaffold pole and some H/D S-Hooks might work well and hang them all vertically but this will enable them to be slid along, like clothes in a wardrobe, only issue is them clattering all together when this happens and damage to paint etc but guess I will have to compromise with this issue...

Latest posts

Back