Short steerer > Ahead Stem query

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
Morning All

I built a single speed Mongoose Iboc ages ago but have only now just started to think about riding it. Anyway it's an 18" frame and I'm 6'2" so it's too small for me.....so I bought a riser stem off ebay. Upon changing the stem over I note that the steerer is pretty short, so the top 17mm of the stem is not clasping the steerer.

How safe is this?! (note - I've been out on a short ride and didn't die, however not sure about going on a long MTC ride...)

Could I run a star nut in the steerer with a top cap, for some extra safety?? (it isn't a "normal" aheadset, so a star nut isn't required as standard before you all start throwing tomatoes at me!!

Thanks

Joe

Attachments

• 20181023_205316.jpg
    20181023_205316.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 512
  • 20181023_205406.jpg
    20181023_205406.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 512
Re:

Personally, in the interests of things being "right" I'd be looking for a longer steerer, or a lower stack headset. Or a lower stack profile stem.

However.... It looks like more than 50% overlap between stem and steerer, and a top cap and steel bolt into a star nut should keep things secure.

Long term though I'd be looking for a better solution.

Re:

It's a weird one - I haven't had one of these headsets before. There is a spacer below the stem but it's held on with an allen key bolt, as opposed to the usual shim type spacers. I think i'll try taking that off and thus lowering the stem further on to the steerer. Only problem then is I've lost another 5mm in height on a bike already too small for me!!! So I may have to put some riser bars on it rather than the flat ones on currently.

Re:

Nope, no way I'd rise that offroad. The top bolt isn't clamping onto anything and is likely deforming the back of the stem.
Sounds a bit like a USE ringo-starr that's holding your headset tight, I'd remove it and/or fit a different stem.

Re:

gradeAfailure":26rsnhdt said:
Revolutionary idea: get a frame that's the right size instead of d*cking about trying to make it fit...? ;)

THANKS for the advice :LOL:

I own a couple of bikes in the "right" size (on paper), although even they all need different length & height stems, dependant on what discipline I'm using them for.

Plenty of late 80's & early nineties brands utilised a small frame with a high rise stem. This is no different really.

What make is the headset? a pic from the side would help.

Is the top lock ring part of the headset, as in does it sit inside the bearings as a seal also? If the ring is just to tighten the headset then replace it with a slim spacer and use a star nut to tighten the headset. The stem will sit lower and the whole thing will be secure. If the top ring is a seal also just change the headset for a normal one and no need for any spacers then.

A good way to raise the front is using risers :)

mark

Latest posts

Back