What to do with this lava dome

t wild

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all. I bought this while just looking through the usual bike sale searches. These popped up and I had to have them because they were awesome and super cheap.
IMG_0533_zpsimvaxnyu.jpg
[/url][/img]
Connected to this
IMG_0536_zpswsp2madj.jpg
[/url][/img]

The frame is grotty and the headset is stiff as hell the bottom bracket is knackered. I haven't tried separating the stem from the forks but it looks like there's been water sat in the headstock for a while and it's rusty.

Thing is I like it but I'm not enthusiastic about it. I feel this bike would be a labour of love but I don't think I love it enough. Do I get started with it knowing it might end up sat in the shed or sell on as is to someone who loves it.

I have a gt timberline 94 with a complete and very presentable alivio groupset and brakes I don't mind stripping and using on this. What to do

Well I started to strip the dome and surprisingly it has all come apart bar the bottom bracket (waiting for a tool) and it's not as bad as first feared. Still rusty but nothing stuck or threaded so I think sanding down the rusty bits and seeing the metal will be the deciding factor in this. I will add pics when photobucket works and this time post them properly.

Nice bike. I read the thread too. You've done a great job with it.
I may be interested in the brakes. It came with xt 27 speed kit so I think I'm going to re use that. The frames probably been stretched to accommodate But the v brakes I don't think suit the bike. Plus there's all the guides that would be redundant. I started the strip down and it's all come apart nicely. After a fight but nothing stripped and the headset grease has gone like glue. Next is to take off the bottom bracket when my tool arrives and then if it turns out nice I'm going to build it.

Well I have decided I haven't got time or room to invest in this project at the moment. The sheds full and I know if I strip it and get it powdered it would get chipped in a week so I'm going to put it up for sale. £50 Ono collected. I'm going to start a for sale thread.

Back