Prescription lenses for cycling shades

Seeing as we're pretty much all getting on a bit now, I figured there'd be some expertise here on prescription cycling lenses!

I'm finding it really hard to read the screen on my Garmin 520. Never used to be a problem with the big and simple Avocet and Cateye computers in the 90's!

I don't want to spend a fortune on fancy new Oakleys (I have a habit of wrecking or losing cycling glasses!), so think I've got a couple of options:

1) buy some cheap (around 100 quid max) glasses that look okay, and maybe a bit retro
2) get someone to make me up some non-Oakley lenses for a pair of regular Oakley Gascans I have.

I've tried a couple of the online glasses and lens places, but they say they'll only do Oakley lenses for Oakley frames. No chance at over £200! To be fair, I think they are Oakley dealers too, so probably have some exclusivity contract.

So, come on you old gits! Who's bought some good reasonably priced prescription cycling glasses recently?! :cool:

I was going to buy some bifocal safetty specs for when I needed to take a gps, but I never did so didn't.
Cromwell had some 4 quid a pair bifocals, but I can't find them now. But looking on google I see amazon
have 10 quid pair Bolle glasses with a 1.5x bit in them, I could do a pair for grinding.

Re:

Thanks for the tip.

Probably should have said that I've always had to wear glasses or contacts as I'm long sighted. I used to wear contacts or no glasses while cycling. These days with having to work in air conned offices, drive air conned cars, air con in pubs, shops, and pretty much everywhere else, my eyes get too dry for contacts.

But, my eyes are also getting a bit old for cycling without any lenses still!

Have a play at RX sport, I've used them loads - awesome value.

As an example, you can get some Oakley Crosslink zero, with cheap transition lenses for about £105. http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakle ... enses.html

Search Prescription>glasses>oakley. If you search sunglasses, it starts at about £200.

FYI, my everyday glasses are Oakleys from them with their mid-range lens. I had my last pair checked by my opticians after my latest eye test, as something was odd. They said they were 100% to the prescription, and it turned out the prescription itself was off :)

I've only used the next ones up, which seem to be the equivalent to highstreet 'anti-reflective, anti-scratch & lightweight'.

My_Teenage_Self":1zrzgmea said:
I've only used the next ones up, which seem to be the equivalent to highstreet 'anti-reflective, anti-scratch & lightweight'.
Probably worth me getting them, then. I am pretty blind!

WandsworthRouleur":1mb9f8gj said:
I've tried a couple of the online glasses and lens places, but they say they'll only do Oakley lenses for Oakley frames.

Which is a load of crap. Oakley was taken over by Luxotica (hostile) about 8 years ago, so your "Genuine Oakley" lenses are made by the same company that makes 98% of all the other glasses/lenses in your shop of choice. I have 3 pairs of (pre buyout) Oakley Rx glasses. 2 sunglasses and one clear, all for clearing up my far vision while driving (2nd sunglasses were a free pair from Oakley for screwing up my prescription twice). When I started to lose my close vision, my Ophthalmologist made up bifocal lenses for my clear pair in their in house lab. They're just glasses. Anyone can make lenses for them. Couldn't get on with the bifocals, so I started using cheap drug store cheaters at work and for anything close instead. Then the weird part happened. After a while of not having to strain my eyes to see up close, my far away vision cleared up. I don't use my Rx glasses in the car any more. I can see far away fine without them. If I put them on now, everything far away (like road signs on the highway) is blurry. Fine by me. I'm not paying Oakley money for what is now generic glasses. And Pro Grip makes better goggles with better lenses for half the price, so they were dumped for moto use as well.

Back