Help - 1997 Heckler v1 Shock Size - 7.875x2.25 = bottom out

96Turner

Dirt Disciple
Help:

Building up my second 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler but this time it didn't come with hardware or a shock. I wanted to try a 7.5x2" air shock (to get a slacker head tube angle) I have but It seems like the frame will interfere when I go under 6" of shock eye to eye. Full bottom at 5.5" would definitely interfere, but it is only 1/8" more than stock so I am confused.

Any experiences with early Hecklers? Website (http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bike/heckler/1) recommends a 7.875x2.25" but that would put me at 5.625" at full bottom out and that looks to me like the bolt on cross-member would hit the seat-tube.

Thanks,
Ryan

Attachments

• hecklerbottomoutSm.jpg
    hecklerbottomoutSm.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 845
Re:

I run a 200x57 with no problems, Thats the recommended size from the website....

I've got a couple mm between the seat tube and swing arm but remember your top out will never push it that far back as your weight is acting on it......

I have a 1997 v2 that has a smaller plate, the v1 plate looks like this and looks like I am limited to less than 2" of travel.

Does your plate look like this?

Attachments

• hecklerplateSmall.jpg
    hecklerplateSmall.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 794
I have another 97 heckler and I am trying to replicate the same angles while building a lighter bike. Going with a 100mm fork (the other heckler has a 125mm)

I have two different shocks, 7.5x2" and 7.875x2.25" (200x57) and niether one looks like it will work.

I might have to cut down that plate/brace. Anyone have a version 1 heckler with that plate/brace and have any advice?

So after contacting santa cruz they hinted that it was meant to run a 200x50mm shock with my particular model. You can see a big difference between my two 97 hecklers for comparison (one on the right runs a 200x57mm). I may CNC my own plate so i can run a 200x57 coil over that i already have set up or hock some stuff to get a 200x50, not sure yet.

Attachments

• hecklerplatecomparisonsmall.jpg
    hecklerplatecomparisonsmall.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 749
White is going to be all mountain, Blue is going to be XC.

Attachments

• hecklertwins.jpg
    hecklertwins.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 749
Update: Thanks for all that helped - tried a 200mm x 51mm fox float on this frame and the brake brace plate still bottomed out so I a guess I am machining down the plate or making a new one. I am not sure why it doesn't work with a manufacturer spec'd shock size, a little bit of a headache, but I love these frames so it will be worth it.

Back