You don't get many days like this

Westfailure

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A couple of weeks back there was a "Ti Mountain Bike" on eBay. Not the best single picture, 2 line description and collection only from Manchester way.
I'm all the way down South but working 2 days a week in our Manchester office up to Christmas, so thought it worth a look.
"Selling on behalf of a friend" listing but it did offer up a mobile number. Had a chat with the owner and he explained he had two bikes for sale. One 1988 and one 1990. Neither had been ridden at all.
Got to be worth a look I thought. "The silver one" was still in the felt cover it came from the dealer in in 1990. Sounds interesting.
I was very pleased to see the first bike in as new condition.
A Claud Butler Cape Wrath. A little dusty but in perfect condition. It wasn't my usual tipple but any bike is rare in this condition and with full DX kit and Wolber rims it had to be worth a punt, if only for spares. Price agreed. Shake hands.
http://tinyurl.com/prz3vls

So the conversation gets onto the mention of Ti

Then Boooo yahhh, in the next room is a 1990 Marin Team Titanium. Bought new in October 1990 from Mike Cookson Cycles in Manchester. Not brought in as a standard Team Ti but bought as a frame and forks and then built up pre delivery with loads of trick bits of that period.

So how do I know the bits were all from new? Cos I have the original bill of sale for the frame and all the kit.

I almost fell over when I saw it. Still in its red felt bag.

Needless to say, a deal was struck and I stopped short of kissing the bloke.

Only down side? I just don't think I can bring myself to ride it.

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Daspo ... %20Uploads

Re:

The Marin reminds me of the team ti that mike cookson built for mbuk for a superlight build for a how light can we get it article. Very nice indeed

Re:

You certainly don't get many days like that :shock: I think the CB is a great find but with the Marin on top. You must be a very happy man right now.

Re:

Good grief! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

These two beauts need their own threads and the Marin needs to be in BOTM immediately. :shock:

Re: Re:

jonnyboy666":34z74z36 said:
The Marin reminds me of the team ti that mike cookson built for mbuk for a superlight build for a how light can we get it article. Very nice indeed

Do you have any more info on that article? I have heard that Cooksons ran a kind of factory Marin team through the 90s. It seems that Marin would sell Ti bikes to most of their dealerships but they wouldn't sell frames only. I know this was sent to Cooksons as a special order in October 1990 so I wonder if it could be the one from the article.

Thanks

Mark.

Re:

Blimey - that marin is amazing

get on to Marin HQ and see if they want it for shows or their musuem etc - going the retro route these days aren't they!

way too nice to use after all these years

still inthe bag!!wtabsolutef

Back