In a future near you...

TonyMerryfield

Retro Guru
I know some relatively cheap/mundane/just plain wrong bikes can gain a cult following but I just don't see anything these days that I feel will be a future classic... in fact I think all modern bikes look the same, which I think is a shame.

So I was wondering - if this site was started 25 years from now, and the retro cutoff was 2015, what bikes of today would we look at as classics?

Re:

My Dad keeps raving about his Scott 29er.

Can't see it myself, horrible BORING colour combo, heavy, disc brakes squeaked the whole way round the last ride I did with him, then the gearing started to not index even though the cables were well stretched by then and he'd adjusted them properly.

Sailed past him on my 26" wheeled 16 year old FSR with V brakes that worked and no gear problems, while he said pretty much...erm...oh....phffff....

:LOL:

Yeah, 29ers - they just look, wrong... 27.5er I don't mind so much.

I know it's personal preference but I like the toptube to point to the top of the back wheel - I know that bike will fit me 99% of the time too. Might as well be riding a penny farthing when you have a 29er... it's just not dignified ;)

Re:

:LOL:

In all fairness, I'm not really qualified to comment as I never go in bike shops other than my mate's place where he only has Hetchins and things hanging on the wall, and a few old frames, mostly mine or my Dad's that he's trying to sell for us under duress!

I wouldn't know what a new bike looked like apart from that Scott, couldn't tell you the model. Haven't had a new bike catalog in the house for at least 10 years. Maybe I should look, but when I inadvertently see new bikes on the Wiggle or CRC websites, they do indeed 'all look the same' to me....

TonyMerryfield":2r6y1ez9 said:
Might as well be riding a penny farthing when you have a 29er... it's just not dignified ;)

How is this not dignified?

51fc70d77a967735cf93a79c9124688d.jpg

I'd buy a Penny Farthing right away if I weren't living an a busy city center where good brakes are really important. A 29er on the other hand ... ewww

I was just thinking about this - I'm really happy to have been born in the 70's to appreciate the development of the 'MTB', front suspension, full suspension and all the mad frame ideas that graced the pages of MBUK and MTB Pro every week as a young man.

Now, it's all too... clinical? I think that is the word I want. I do see some really nice hand made machines in 'the other section' - but they are few and far between. In the olden days I wanted a new bike every month...

The only good thing about all this, I can afford all those bikes I wanted. I know it's frowned upon in certain circles, but tomorrow I take delivery of a 2000 issue Klein Attitude, for £200 off ebay :shock:

Re:

I have joined the dark side, whilst i could not see myself riding a 29er, i have bought a Giant 27.5 and am very pleased with it (so far) , i am pretty sure it wont become a classic but then who knows what and why a bike will become a classic. Look at classic cars there are some truly rotten cars that are now seen as classics.

I like retro bikes with their slim tubes, modern ones look weird :)

Latest posts

Back