How to package a frame?

StealthDJ

Dirt Disciple
So I have two frames I need to send off to a painter.

Not had to do this before, so need to ask - what's the best way to parcel them up to avoid damage? And any recommendations for delivery companies to use? One frame is being sent purely as a colour sample, so I'm not quite so bothered about it, but the other definitely needs to stay straight and in one piece.

Sadly, the distances involved (about 300 miles) means that delivering in person isn't really an option...

(And while the second frame is only for a colour sample, no I don't want to cut it up :) )

Re:

I find my local Halfords most useful for this and nothing else - they always have bike boxes, I find the ones off of kids bikes best, but in this instance you may need something a little bigger....

Piece of wood between rear drop outs, or even better, ask them to leave all the cr*p in the box and you will probably find at least one of them black plastic spacer things off the original bike that was in there! And some frame protection round cardboard stuff. Local Tesco's or probably any large supermarket can usually give you a load of bubble wrap for free (it's worth striking up a working relationship with the stores people in your local one, I find)

As to carrier, I can use Yodel through my work place, everyone slags them off but I've never had a problem with them. Failing that, ParcelForce 48 have had their moments of glory...and epic failure too. Someone else will be along in a mo to recommend a better carrier, though, I'm sure :LOL:

StealthDJ":3ltm1w98 said:
So I have two frames I need to send off to a painter.
what's the best way to parcel them up to avoid damage?

The best way would be an old rear hub axle held in place with an old quick release to stop the frame getting crushed, then pipe lagging over every tube, taped in place. then several layers of bubblewrap over the top of that, inside a very secure box, with reinforcing ribs to stop the box being crushed.... but in reality even brand new £3k frame dont come with this level of protection. they're wrapped in a simple box (free from most bike shops), plastic rear wheel axle spacer, a few layers of bubblewrap around the dropouts, top of seattube/toptube junction, around the headtube & around bottom bracket junction, then the frame placed inside a large bubblewrap bag

senditnow.com is essentially parcelforce, except they can collect from your chosen address, rather than drag the bike boxes to your local post office.
parcel2go.com is the same kinda deal

Re:

Bubbles, lots of bubbles. ..
And bike boxes as mentioned.
Your LBS or halfords is a good source, but if they ask you to pay for one find another shop.

I have had various results from various couriers, but find parcel force via Parcel 2go good.

Re:

Recent frame I sent, bike box cut to size, and then pipe lagging - bits cut to length for each tube, and over the extremities. Then full lengths folded to fill the gaps. This meant that the frame couldn't move about in the box etc. Not the cheapest, but depends what the contents are worth...

Attachments

• IMG_1165_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1165_edited-1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 301
Re:

This is how my Kona King Kahuna frame was sent from California.

There were several layers of bubble wrap, with each layer tightly bound with layers of industrial strength cling film. It could have easily withstood a sever clout without any damage to the frame - must have taken the guy ages to wrap up though!

Pip.

Attachments

• USPS size.JPG
    USPS size.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 296
Back