What are the best brake blocks......

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
......for stopping power, to use on cantilevers (obviously), been using fibrax for years and my box full of them is now depleated, i have recently been using some grey eagle claws but they just dont seem to bite which is a real pain when out doing some road use on my c'dale BOTE with full panniers :shock: .

what are your recommendations please?

RBG

I use kool stops on everything cx style canti. I'm assuming they do mtb style.

The Eagle Claws come in different colours and compounds for different conditions - maybe just check the grey ones aren't for ceramic rims, or wet weather use, or something else.

If in doubt, stick with the black ones.

Also, your new brake blocks might be struggling to grip the rim due to the residue left by your old brake blocks. It might be worth cleaning the braking surface with some steel wool to get the old compound off.

Re:

I've used many brake pads, even did research into them (all be it at a low level but I did use many bitd)

But if you go modern, get V-Brakes style holders. They make them as stud type,not just threaded. Then buy a set of pads from say disco-brake. I like the triple setup if I have them around. Other places do similar, Clarks, ashima butifind the disco work, even the plain ones.
Stick spare in the backpack if you are touring (including the little springs) and switch the pads as needed.

Fibrax make them too, check their website. In fact most my stud battle holders are fibrax. (A few sets bought from them when they where at York Rally a few years back)

Re:

Azteks/Koolstop and Mathauser get my vote and the key ingredient is using 2mm XT cable.

Back