Brake trouble

marge602

Retro Guru
So there I am, fettling my pogo stick(or '93 Trek 9200)and thought I'd set up the rear brake. I've got M565 LX cantis, and recently picked up some really nice M733 XT levers.

Problem one. The cable outer end cap rattles around in the barrel adjuster. It's huge! I can only presume they must've used an equally huge end cap for the outer. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. Not really a complete disaster as the hood that protects the barrel adjuster fits the outer quite snugly, helping to hold it in place.

Problem two is more serious. There isn't enough tension in the canti springs to work against the torturous route the rear brake cable has to take. The swingarm brake bosses only have one hole for the spring to locate in, and the LX cantis only have an adjuster screw on one side. I've fitted a new cable inner, a new outer from the lever to the first cable stop, and am somewhat stuck with the small metal pipe that guides the cable from the top of the shock to the rear brake location via a hole in the seat tube. This is almost certainly the problem area. It's like a V brake noodle, with a flexible plastic sleeve running through it. I've tried running some WD40 through it, and got a load of crud out of it, but I still can't get the cantis to spring back properly. If they were V brakes, I could just wind the adjuster screws in and it would solve the problem. I've never quite worked out why Shimano cantis only had one adjuster. Any ideas?

Regards

Marge

PS. I realise a photo would help, but the pogo stick is locked away in the shed, and it's pitch dark now

The Canti adjuster screw is just to centre the brakes. Spring tension is set by the position in the holes in the frame, but you only have one hole for the spring?

Re:

Try replacing the plastic sleeve. You can remove one from inside a new v-brake noodle and use that.

It's not just dirt inside the sleeve that causes friction. The plastic wears out too and becomes very rough. Even if it's spotlesslessly clean the rough surface will still create a lot of friction.

is there room to drill an extra hole above the one you have so that you can increase the spring tension?

Re:

Thanks for the replies, good suggestions all. I'm fairly sure there is no extra metal around the brake boss for another hole, but ill certainly have a look at it tomorrow. It had occurred to me that a noodle could be cannibalised, so will definitely be trying that. WD, do you know where I can get some fat ferrules? They would solve the first problem I had

Thanks again

Marge

I got a set with the fat cables but that probably doesn't help you much ... :-(

I think I made a stainless set when I had access to a lathe but that probably doesn't help you much either ... :-( but there are folk on here who could help ... ;-)

Pretty sure I have seen someone selling them on here though ? I think they had them and braided cables in bulk ? Might be worth doing a search in the for sale section with suitable keywords :D

Hope you get sorted :D

WD :D

only other thing I can think of is to get some cantis that don't rely on the hole in the frame - didn't Onza HO's have an independent spring?

ovlov440":3thfaqp6 said:
only other thing I can think of is to get some cantis that don't rely on the hole in the frame - didn't Onza HO's have an independent spring?

and Dia Compe 987's.

and maybe other Dia Compe models too.

Back