Do modern tyres/grips etc ruin a retrobike?

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Righto, I'm taking a bike to Icon-o-classic, which is obviously a covert way of us *just* showing off our lovely retro shinies (Yay!)

The bike in question is a rider, and period correct, with the exception of a set of modern tyres...

My slightly inane question; Should I splash out on a Smoke/Dart re-issue combo for it? When you're looking at bikes, do you find yourself thinking 'That's ruined by the modern tyres', or should I just stop being silly and show it as it is? This is, of course, purely for your veiwing pleasure!

(and yes, I'm aware of the irony that the re-issues are modern tyres too :facepalm: )

:?: :?:

That depends. :D
(where's the pic?)
But I think that a set of shiny new skinwalls always improves the look of a retro ride. (The exception proves the rule.).

What's the point of having old tyres and grips if you can't ride it , it's a bike and it's sole reason for being in existence is to be ridden , just think back to when it was nearly new , would you put an old knackered set of tyres on it , I think not .
Matthew

He was talking about re-issue. New rubber in old shape that is.

And I really think that some bikes do look stupid with new tires shouting "racing ralph" at you while standing...
But it really depends on the bike - and the tires, of course.
Here is an example from ibc forum (pic and bike by euphras)

Looking good. But would look better with pc tires. And would look horrible with racing ralphs. :D

And if you go there just to show of, why not doing it properly?

For a garage queen that gets ridden once a year and gets taken to shows I think period correct tires and grips should be strongly considered. That being said, did you see the prices that people want for NOS old school tires? Ridiculous! I think re-issue tires should work just fine if attainable at more realistic prices. I personally don't care enough for catalog specs to shell out 400$ for a set of NOS tires. I just wish modern tires would stop the trend of garish crappy logos all over them.

syncrosfan":2de0cqdp said:
For a garage queen that gets ridden once a year and gets taken to shows I think period correct tires and grips should be strongly considered.
I agree for a garage queen.
But for riding, modern tires are better, lighter and less expensive, and sometimes, they look great on Retrobikes.
The Halo seems cool on your Specialized. :cool:
Some of my retrobike got 2 wheelset. For exemple, I got some ritchey megabyte red tires on Ritchey Vantage rims for my P22. But only for exhibitions. These tires are rare and every time I rode them, I get puncture. So for riding the P22; I prefer re-issue Ritchey on Mavic 517 ceramic which seems vintage :LOL:

Re:

What about Charge Splashbacks? Modern yet retro looking.

Otherwise I'd think about getting the re issue smoke /dart, which aren't all that expensive when you look at the price of some modern tyres, and are a bargain compared to NOS prices.

Re:

I'm not bothered about amber sidewalls personally. Seems daft to me. I never had them in the 80s / 90s on any bike :?

On two of my more retro bikes I run new Ritchey Z max evolution tyres. They have the same tread as one of the old megabite tyres and black walls. They do shout RITCHEY at you though ! Big print on the sides.
I also run a rocket ron / racing ralph combo on my 29er so my opinion ain't worth shit :LOL:

Latest posts

Back