Tyre Recommendations Needed, Please

kjarrett

Retro Guru
Ok so I apparently can't run my Wilderness Trail Bikes Velociraptor tyre (2.1") at my desired pressure on my Axis Pro unless I get the wheel re-dished. Oddly enough my Kenda K816 (also 2.1") does NOT rub at that pressure. Unfortunately the casing is thinner; as I used to get punctures regularly but that stopped once I switched to the Velociraptors. The Kenda and Velociraptor (rear) have tread similar to the Panaracer Smoke, which is what I'm after.

I weigh about 98 kg (down from 107 kg) and hope to drop another 8 kg in the coming months. Trails I ride are loose and dry, sometimes hardpack or pine needle covered; I regularly encounter deep sand; roots are common. I rarely encounter wet conditions but it does happen. Don't ride at ALL on tarmac (other than in the car park at the start of my rides). I ride for fun and fitness, green trails probably most of the time, with quite a bit of blue. I'll TRY a black now and then and have no qualms about dismounting and walking. No great speeds, downhilling, nor any jumping (HA! I'd crash in an instant) or features usually other than climbing over occasional logs. I avoid rock if I can. Skinnies? Not on your life!

BITD I ran Panaracer a Smoke & Dart combo with great results (similar weight and riding locations). When I got back into MTBing this past winter I tried the Kenda K816s to save money. They were adequate but punctured a lot. I then discovered the WTB Velociraptors and have been very happy until now, when the tyre clearance issue has forced a change.

There are so few 26" options these days, and it's brutal trying to find anything in stock anywhere, and this process has been frustrating.

TYRES UNDER CONSIDERATION

Kenda Nevegal 1010 - seemingly the best I could find for the type of riding I do and how much I am willing to spend, I have one of these (1.95") coming in Friday. However I recently saw the tread/knobs on a 2.1" version of this tyre and I'm already disappointed - they don't look up to the task. https://shop.kendatire.com/Nevegal-p/21 ... 1&CartID=0

Geax Gato - thanks to Retrobiker marc two tone, I have one of these coming in (weeks away I'm afraid) but the only stock I could find was 2.1". I am hopeful they will still clear my chainstays, as the Kenda's do, at my preferred pressure. I would gladly try these in 1.9" or perhaps even 1.7" if I could find them in stock anywhere, eBay has a ton from sellers in Spain for some reason. A seller in Canada has them too but sends them without tracking (no thank you). Seller sport_and_liesure (Cradley Heath, West Midlands, United Kingdom) has them however and I might order one but the delivery estimate is ~ 30 days. Ugh.

What else should I be considering? Thanks in advance!

-kj-

Re:

Here again, sorry dude.

After my first purchase, I bought 2 more as they came folded ( good start) and are lightweight.

Recommendations.......well, for me, anything ritchey seem good for it and
if I can find them again WTB primal raptor. Had that slim fit with good purchase on soft stuff. Seen on parkpre below.

Attachments

• Photo0862.jpg
    Photo0862.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 20200812_125327.jpg
    20200812_125327.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 20200812_130150.jpg
    20200812_130150.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 262
Thanks Marc, and sweet bike, reminds me of my Fisher Mt. Tam, also polished.

Here's a pic from the Amazon page where I got my Geax, hopefully it looks like it does in this pic, should be good.

Am also looking now at:

- Michelin Country Mud
- Maxis Ardent

Almost no one has any in stock. One shop here in the states has the Michelin at TWICE the price everyone else sells it for, capitalism at work, I guess!

-kj-

Attachments

• 614vr+PckwL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    614vr+PckwL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 255
I just like Smokes, they still work reasonably well (sure not as good as new stuff...but still OK).

Geax is Vittoria, I think some of their mtb tyres still came in 26 until recently, so may find soem around

yes, thats why I said "until recently"... but you might still find some floating around somewhere for sale.

Personally a bit sad they no longer sell Conti RaceKings in 2.0 any more, only 2.2 in 26, that was my go to tyre .

I'll probably just keep buying Smokes till they stop making them.

T'boo Ted":9gx630cz said:
yes, thats why I said "until recently"... but you might still find some floating around somewhere for sale.

Personally a bit sad they no longer sell Conti RaceKings in 2.0 any more, only 2.2 in 26, that was my go to tyre .

I'll probably just keep buying Smokes till they stop making them.

Ah, gotcha! On point. Sourcing old bits on eBay is part of the joy (honestly) with this hobby, at least for me.

I can't say enough about the WTB Velociraptor tyres, they are very close to the Smoke and Dart in design, and available in 26"

https://www.wtb.com/collections/26-tire ... lociraptor

Hard to find but they are out there!

-kj-

Tyre situation sorted!

When you care enough that only the best will do ... you overpay on eBay for NOS parts! :shock: :cool: :oops:

The 1.9 Smoke should fit perfectly (I pray...) and I know the Dart will ride like a dream.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 187

Latest posts

Back