Fuji Stout-lite frame with dents and crack

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
This frame is extremely light at 2045 grams with bottom bracket and headset cups. It gives a ringing 'ping' when tapped with a fingernail. With the canti hanger and Ritchey dropouts I'd say it's a very nice frame. The rust looks worse in the pics and I think would clean off easily.

Trouble is it's so light and thin it has a few minor dents and ripples and - more seriously I guess - a crack at the seat tube slit.

If it was just the dents I think it would probably be ok. If it was just the crack I guess that could probably be repaired. The two together - I'm not sure it's worth doing anything with.

The dent you see twice is the same dent.

Any thoughts?
DSC_2003_zpsc5a4b758.jpg

DSC_1998_zpse42ed2c5.jpg

DSC_1993_zps30350183.jpg

DSC_1989_zps59520633.jpg

DSC_1988_zpsc6278b0f.jpg

DSC_1985_zps49b28ab4.jpg

DSC_1983_zpsa36530dd.jpg

DSC_1982_zps801a09ee.jpg

DSC_1978_zps4f493753.jpg

Shame, that must be very light for a steel frame, well under 2kg/4lbs. I wouldn't worry about the dents, but I think the crack would have to be repaired before you could use it.

Might be worth contacting a frame builder to see what can be done and how much it would cost. They may be able to weld the crack then grind it flush, or perhaps braze a short length of tubing over the top of the existing seat tube, then cut a slot in that to use with a larger diameter seat clamp.

drill the end of the crack to stop it propagating. run a loooooooong seatpost. check it regularly.

Thanks guys.

I shoulda said, the frame's too small for me so it's more a question of making it worthy of purchase for someone smaller. It owes me a bit too which I'd like to recoup if possible (though it's my own stupidity for not checking more carefully so I may have to swallow that!)

I don't mind spending a bit if I'll get it back but I reckon the dents will put people off so spending money on repairing the crack may not be wise.

The cromo is incredibly thin though so it would be the ideal frame to try and get the dents out. The repair would make a lot more sense then.

I certainly don't want to give up on a very nice frame - there's a finite number of 90s bikes! ;-)

Edit:
Hmmm writing the above has made me realise this is probably the opportunity I've been waiting for to have a reason to get in touch with John Chickens!

And I have a mate who's after a bike who's smaller than me...

Back