How to tell if its genuine '1992/3 Kona Explosif'

ExeterJake

Dirt Disciple
Been offered a Kona explosif to buy, it has been resprayed and the guy said he's had it from new. Now my only concern is that it could potentially be another kona frame as a few others look quite similar. Is there anything that will stand out to tell me it's an explosif??

Serial number probably, at least the mid/late 90's are different to the rest of the range.
But slightly oval tubing both ends on the top tube in 1992.
Ribbed downtube on the 1993.

Put up pictures or look in the catalogues in the archive to compare style to double check year.

null_zps944789d6.jpg

null_zpsde64feb5.jpg

null_zps6ccc1731.jpg

null_zps8f4862fb.jpg

Frame would ideally be repainted and decaled!!!

I have purchased it now as the parts are all good even if the frame isnt what it is.

Hopefully someone who knows more about the Explosifs may help me out!

I'm afraid it isn't an Explosif. It could be a Kona though - and if so a 1991 size 16.

The 1991 Explosif has top and down tubes that are visibly ovalised and taper slightly from 27 x 30mm at the back to 30 x 34mm at the front. It also has a bulge-butted seat tube, which bulges out both laterally and longitudinally as it meets the bb shell. Yours bulges out laterally, but seems to be narrowed longitudinally, which is reminiscent of a Cinder Cone seat tube. I don't know whether the 1991 Lava Dome also used that seat tube.

I think it's the number ending in '17' that is the serial number, and if so the earlier part of that number may give some further evidence as to whether it's a Kona, but I'm afraid it won't tell us which model it is.

F1024117 IS THE FRAME NUMBER ON THE BIKE, ITS A BIT HEAVIER THAN I EXPECTED REALLY BUT IT WILL NOW POSSIBLY BE REPLACED. THE GUY SAID HE BOUGHT IT NEW AS A FRAME IN 1993 AND BUILT IT UP. HE DID SAY IT WAS ORIGNALLY BLACK WITH A BIT OF PURPLE.

That number is certainly consistent with it being a 1991 Kona - it says it was built in the Fairly works in February 1991. All 1991 Konas were available in black as an option to the catalogue colour.

It's looks the same as my Lava Dome. I'll have to check the frame number tomorrow. Mine has been repainted but has some purple in the headtube which could be original. It weighs >6lb

Back