GT sts/lts linkage advice

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've finished my sts build (thread will follow soon), and I'm looking to get a stash of spares. I was wondering if the non-trunnion mount linkage from an lts would be compatable with the sts rear end, and if so a) would it open up greater rear shock options and b) how on earth do you remove the rear linkage?

I have a spare lts to practice on, just not sure where to start.

Last q, what are my options for spare bushings and bearings? Am I best looking out for bushings or can these be replaced with bearings? I'm kind of skint after building her up so anyone have advice on where I can get spares at a good price?

Thanks

Best option for the pivots are the betd bearing kits. Not cheap but available separately so you can upgrade one piece at a time. I've done all mine except the Horst link ones. The original bushing kits are available from us ebay, but most of us on here that use our sts's have the upgraded bearings.
Not sure if the old linkage fits, but cheap lts frames with dented from ends pop up on ebay all the time. These can be scavenged for rear ends parts and shocks. Trunion shocks come up pretty regularly and I think Stendec still service them. Brand new Risse air shocks are also still available from the states. The original Rock Shox Super Deluxe is actually a really nice shock, if you get a good one.

Thanks for the info. I've got a coupe deluxe at the mo, and its in good shape so will see how I get on. I do have a super deluxe on a spare donor frame I bought, but I'm struggling to remove it to see if it is a good one or not. Any tips on getting it off?

ishaw":1vjvdqz6 said:
Thanks for the info. I've got a coupe deluxe at the mo, and its in good shape so will see how I get on. I do have a super deluxe on a spare donor frame I bought, but I'm struggling to remove it to see if it is a good one or not. Any tips on getting it off?

They can be a pig to remove, I read that if you can compress the spring (Using heavy duty tywraps or a spring compressor) then it's easier to take out as the pressure is off the mounts. Hope this helps?

Jussa :)

Removing the coupe deluxe is easy as you can screw it through the trunnion mount. Can't do the same on the super deluxe. Looks like I need to remove the trunnion but can't see how to do that.

Getting the shock out is pretty straight forward. Undo the top two bolts then drift the black travel chips out of the linkage from the inside. I usually use a wide flat blade screw driver and a hammer. Next undo the bottom bottom bolt. This leaves the shock rattling about in the linkage. The next bit is trial and error. The shock will move about in the holes left by the black travel chips and its a matter of jiggling it until it comes out. Some shocks are easier than others.
When reassembling start with the linkage end, get the shock back in the hole and then press the black chips back in. Remember you can flip the chips to change travel depending if the hole is front or back.

Back