Zaskar Identification Algorithm

PurpleFrog

Kona Fan
This is my attempt at a complete True Zaskar Identification Algorithm. For now "True Zaskar" = American Zaskar, because Taiwanese Zaskars used different tubing. I was motivated to create this because all the rules I found while googling were incomplete, and - much more importantly - I'm stuck in the house re-decorating.

I have written this so that the easiest to use rules come first.

VERY important: Later rules assume that earlier rules have been applied.

1. Rounded endcap on top tube (ie where it sticks out behind the seat tube) => no; never an American Zaskar. Might be a Taiwanese Zaskar. From here on every rule assumes a flat end cap!

2. 6061 stamp (usually on inside right rear dropout, may be missing) => yes, always a American Zaskar (unless someone has added a false stamp! has anyone heard of this?)

The only bike that can now confuse you is a 92 or 92 Pantera - the only other GTs to have flat endcaps. (??)

3 If bike has u-brake and is ball burnished => American Zaskar (only the 92 version of Pantera had a U brake and it didn't come in bb finish.)

4. You should now be left with only the few Zaskars that missed frame stamps and 93 Panteras! Try using the serial number (look at inside left rear dropout - but some bikes don't have a serial number). Then:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/info/122/

Here is an email I got from an actual employee of GT:

If the bike frame was manufactured at the Santa Ana CA facility, the first three or four digits of the serial number should be letters abbreviating the model or size of the frame such as "XL", "XXL", CR24, or something like that The next part of the serial number is eight numeric digits. The first four numbers should be a two digit month followed by a two digit year. The last four digits are the serialization digits 0000 to 9999 depending on what number the frame was of the years production.

BUT some American GTs (early ones?) have a serial number that consists of the numbers discussed above ONLY - ie the date code followed by arbitary numbers.

..Non-American frames have a different serial number style - it starts with a letter that codes the frame maker, and possibly uses another letter to code assembly country, and then two letters to code date:

if your serial is KGCG2297 this one gets a little complicated. but still easy once you learn the code to it.

the first letter is who made the frame itself, in this case it would be "Kenisis", an overseas company.this could be replaced by another letter but at least we know what that one is there for.

next is the letter "G"..this isnt always there, but if so, this is where it was assembled, (ever notice the built in usa sticker on your gt or dyno?) this is what that letter is there for. it wasnt made here, but was built here.

next is the letter "C"..C is the 3rd letter in the alphabet, and march is the 3rd month, so march is the build month.

next is the letter "G" this is the year. G is the 7th letter in the alphabet, so this would be a 1987.

=> If the frame number is either of American styles - and both are easy to reconize - then you have an American Zaskar - because all Panteras were Taiwanese made.

=> If the frame number is Taiwanese style, you have a Pantera

5. If there is no serial number and no frame number... no one has recorded a Pantera without a serial number, so Zaskar is the obvious bet. But who really knows? Such cases are going to be very rare.

I have heard from a gt guru in America that it could be a sample bike or a prototype .

"No number usually means it was a prototype or sample bike,,pretty cool if you have one. The LE designation was for the parts spec, being limited edition and only few made,less that 3000 usually ! LE's were the most sought after."

I have a 1996 Zaskar frame.

6061 stamp
Flat endcap
No serial number anywhere on the frame. Its not been removed as that would be evident from its aftermath.

I don't believe its a prototype or such like just maybe one that got missed.

That said it does seem to have a longer TT than would be expected .....

X-Files-David-Duchovny.jpg

I should add that Pscyclones and Cyclones have flat endcaps. But these are steel and fillet brazed - ie smooth joins between tubes instead of welds. So easy to tell apart from a Zaskar - and ultra desirable in themselves.

letmetalktomark":2yj7bvur said:
I have a 1996 Zaskar frame.

6061 stamp
Flat endcap
No serial number anywhere on the frame. Its not been removed as that would be evident from its aftermath.

I don't believe its a prototype or such like just maybe one that got missed.

That said it does seem to have a longer TT than would be expected .....

X-Files-David-Duchovny.jpg

Oh, that's NOTHING as GT serail numbers go...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132964

I purchased my Zaskar, new in October 1993

The serial number starts '1193***'

According to others, that means it was manufactured a month after I bought it

This is entirely correct according to the serial number rules as given by ex GT employees...

yet the bike had been in Mike's Bikes Cambridge since early 1993 (with my dribble on it).

20101031134543!Tom-baker-thinking.jpg

Very helpful....
But how does my frame fit into this formula?
  • 1) Ball Burnished
    2) Flat end cap
    3) U Brake
    4) No serial number or 6061 or size stamp....ANYWHERE?

Back