Unusual boss fitting on Avid V-brakes?

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm sure someone can help me here - I'm stripping down a frame that has Avid V-brakes fitted at both ends (one pair is a 10, the other a 1D I think). Anyway, both pairs seem to have a fitting on the bosses that I haven't come across before. Will post a picture when I get the chance, but it seems like there's a large 'sleeve' that slides over the boss, leaving quite a large square-shaped piece sitting over the bosses between the main part of the V-brake and the frame/fork (and the tension spring doesn't seem to be sitting in one of the three holes like normal). Anyone have any idea what this is, or how I get it off? Each one seems firmly attached to the boss, though it may just need unscrewing/brute force, I haven't really tried yet!

That is an early type fitting you use the square nut to tension the spring then tighten the bolt to hold everything in place........... Is the brake stuck :?: If so I would spray some WD85 in there and then get a spanner on the nut and try giving it a twist ;)

kermitgreenkona88":2sco3hj1 said:
Is the brake stuck :?: If so I would spray some WD85 in there and then get a spanner on the nut and try giving it a twist ;)
Thanks, I was sure someone must have seen these before! The brakes don't seem to remove by hand but I've only tried pulling them straight off... Will give them a go in the daylight with a spanner!

Latest posts

Back