Head tube reducer inserts ?

Proflex656

Devout Dirtbag
Hi Guys....
First post so be gentle with me !

I'm into my Proflex full suspension bikes, have been for a number of years, I really like the Girvin vector forks that come with a good few of them... looking for another set to rebuild if anyone has anything in bits to clear out ?

I'd like to be able to fit these type of forks ( with an 1" steerer ) into a frame with a head tube diameter built around a 1" 1/8th steerer.
I've been lucky with the last few I've done as the ball race headsets have been usable and all parts present.

To use a Proflex frame with a newer style Aheadset type 1" headset would require a head tube reducer top and bottom to allow the 1" standard headset to be used.....nice and easy, super sensible.

Anyone had these made or know of a good source for the future ?
I did see a place a while ago on ebay, in Canada selling something like this....anything nearer to home in the UK ( and cheaper) been used by anyone else ?

Thanks for your help
jr

Hi jr,

Welcome to the forum :D

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but why not just get a set of forks with a 1,1/8" steerer, rather than trying to fit a set with a 1" steerer and having reducers made?

I'm sure you won't have much trouble sourcing a pair if you don't have some already - just put a post up in the wanted section of this forum.

You'll also have a much easier time finding headsets, stems etc too if you stick with 1,1/8" :cool:

Hi...thanks for the reply...totally agree...
The only problem is 99% of Girvin Vector forks ( alloy legs ) come with a 1 inch steerer tube.

Haven't found any with a 1" 1/8th yet, they did list the option to have an 1" 1/8th tube, but I've not seen one yet.

To use them with a 34mm ID headtube ( which fits a standard 1" 1/8th headset ) you need a reducer to allow the ID to come down enough to squeeze in a standard 1" headset...

:D - jr

I'd definitely put a post up in HERE.

I'm certain that I've seen a few pairs come up for sale which have had 1,1/8" steerers - I've been tempted by one or two pairs myself ;)

Thanks Guys...
I spotted the reducers you highlighted a while back, they were out of stock at the time, so thought they may have been discontinued.
Good to see there is an option there if I need it.
I might fall lucky and find some vectors with the 1" 1/8th steerer...
I fancy finishing off my singlespeed project with a shiny pair of vectors...

I've PM'd the gent in France about the Vectors he had for sale....thanks for the help !

jr

Back