Adapter 1 1/4" to 1 1/8" headsets

Titiritero

Retro Guru
I've found an Alpinestars Cromega at a decent price, but the headset is missing the top nut and it has an ancient Rock Shox Indy I'm not very fan of.

I've found these sleeves that would reduce the head tube diameter, so I could use any headset, fork and stem

Is this a safe and reliable solution? Or just crazy? Price is reasonable too, definitely cheaper than finding a 1 1/4" headset online...

I looked into this a while back when I had a rather cool estay, but not the usual style, I forget the model but it was an alpine stars. It had a strange headset arrangement. It ran a threaded 1 1/4 headset but the steerer tube was partially threaded lower down, but took an ahead stem as no threads up top.

Iirc a modern aheadset was available in the right size that allowed 1 1/8 forks to be used. I can't remember the size though.

Thanks for the comments! In the end I passed on the bike. They had mounted an Indy fork but in 1 1/8" so obviously the headset was loose and I was afraid the head tube might be damaged. Plus the seller did not give me good vibes the bike was obtained through legal ways...

Back