Help Columbus frame with Ritchey drop outs what make?

Woodyuk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi

Need some help identifying this frame..

Just got my hands on this frame .
It has Ritchey drop out on frame and forks.
Forks have Cro Mo Steel double butted on side and frame has an old columbus sticker.Top tube and bottom tube are not round but go flatish to round to flatish again.

Serial number on frame is S94060595

Serial number on fork is 94 06

please see pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/jinbobsw55 ... directlink

any help working out the make and model would be appriciated and any advice on how to clean this frame up to look new again

Cheers

I would say it is a nickel finished steel frame as there are some sighns of rust coming through...
anybody have any idea the flatish to round to flatish top and bottom tube could be the answer to finding out what make it is?

cheers

Columbus Thronic tubing ...nice :D any ovalizing (tube flattening ) at the down tube bb join and top tube/seat tube

The serial number says it was built in Taiwan in June 1994, but I don't know what the name of the factory beginning with S was. And even if we did find that, it wouldn't tell us what brand it was built for of course.

Columbus Thronic seems to be a road-oriented tubeset, with biovalising similar to Columbus Max OR. It must have been quite an expensive tubeset in its day, as the technique to produce biovalising was in its infancy then.

There's nothing wrong with using a road tubeset to build a mtb frame, just provided it is strong enough and stiff enough. The weight might be a rough guide to that.

Hi All

Thanks for all the info and help
Double checked the tatty columbus sticker on the frame and it is a "Columbus Thronic doppio spessore"as mentioned above.
I have done some internet searches but not found much on Mountainbike frames made with it..mostly Road bikes.
The frame is lovely ..so I feel it is my duty now to clean
the frame up and build a tidy looking bike and get it back riding off road..
Would be nice to have known what make but I can live without knowing.. I will get Gill to get me
some new columbus transfers for fork and frame and polish the frame up.

I thought it looked a. I Specialized 'ish but I don't think they would use road tubing on a production frame? If it was a one-off race bike they wouldn't advertise (via the tubing sticker) something they didn't sell.
The cranks are Sugino, do they have the Specialized logo by the crank bolt or is that dirt?

What weight is the frame?

Back