Make a Bike for Chum going to Eritrea

Err

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello.

I plan to build up a bike for a friend who is going to africa to do some volunteering. He's a decent fiddler generally, but he's into landrovers not bikes so want something that won't break and will be easy to maintain.

I need some help and advice.

Frame:
Steel, easy to repair and durable. Thinking of an old kona frame, which i'll debadge and spray black. Don't want it looking too fancy.

Drivetrain:
Hub gear. Going for this for ease of maintenance, also it's going to be quite flat so a narrow range should do it. Think Sram Spectro or a recent sturmey archer. He can't afford a speedhub :eek:
Might also equip him with an extra rear wheel that is singlespeed so he can still get around if it bust and needs returned for repair.

Wheels:
Nothing too special, just a decent regular wheel should do it. Hoping to encourage him to try and build a wheel with me, so that he has the basics of truing it up.

Brakes
V-brakes. Some of the hubgears i have looked at incorporate drum brakes, but i have something against them, despite having never tried them! Like the extra rear wheel could double up on the brakes so he has a failsafe.

Any input?

Back