rebuilding xt m735 pedals

Re: Re:

RockiMtn":16nbme8r said:
i've taken apart m730, m731 and perhaps m735 pedals before and it takes a little finesse to get them back together. when i did dissassemble them, i kept all the pieces inline and in place to keep track of where everything goes and how. sorry can't give you much more than that as i don't recall much more than that and hadn't taken any pics as referrence.

i can try to see what i have spare and perhaps quickly disssemble one and provide photos and details.

I second this and have lots of patience. If i remember correctly the bigger bearings go threaded part of the axle side,ie crank side. And the smaller fiddly bearings are the outside,i think i used tweezers to put those in because they sit far into the cage. It's worth the effort though when they spin nice and smooth again.

Re:

Bigger and smaller bearings?

Unfortunately I bought these disassembled, so didn't have the opportunity to carefully remove in order, so its possibly they were incomplete.
I thought the bearings were just 3/32" ones, but no idea how many each side.
More of a puzzle than a rebuild.
Once I get these together I should probably do a youtube vid on what, how many and how deep the bearings go (unless anyone's done one already.....)
I can see why the cartridge system is a vast improvement!

Really appreciate all the feedback so far from everyone. Thanks all.

if they are all the same diameter, divide the lot in half, and then again for each end. try to see if it's equal amount fore and aft on the shaft, and if not adjust accordingly.

i'll have a look at what i have spare when i get a moment. if i have something i can afford to quickly and easily take apart, i'll take some pics.

Tatsunoko said:
Bigger and smaller bearings?

It's got me thinking now :LOL: I'm going to pull my M-731 pedals to bits now to find out,i've been meaning to rebuild them for ages now. I remember the bit i found tricky to do was tightening the lock ring without over tightening the cone,shimano must have made a special tool for this.

Re:

Ordered the seals and new bearings, so will give that ago.

in the meantime, found a set of later Cartridge axle M735's on fleabay

These will be a lot easier to service!

Attachments

• xt-m735-cartridge.jpg
    xt-m735-cartridge.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 328
  • _MG_0873.jpg
    _MG_0873.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 327

Spanky22b":1ez3uc6r said:
the bit I found tricky to do was tightening the lock ring without over-tightening the cone, Shimano must have made a special tool for this.
Does anyone know of a slightly less expensive version of the OEM tool?
For Deore XT M731 version

Cheers
G.

Graham_hkr":28z1f0ng said:
Spanky22b":28z1f0ng said:
the bit I found tricky to do was tightening the lock ring without over-tightening the cone, Shimano must have made a special tool for this.
Does anyone know of a slightly less expensive version of the OEM tool?
For Deore XT M731 version

Cheers
G.
There is a way you can cheat this by grinding a flat on the thread and using a D-washer between the locknut and cone (as long as you're happy to slightly bastardise the pedals). Lots of other pedals utilise this method. You can make a washer that will act as a D-washer with a standard washer and a centre puch.

Attachments

• D washer.jpg
    D washer.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 118

weeman_mtb":244536yr said:
There is a way you can cheat this by grinding a flat on the thread and using a D-washer between the locknut and cone (as long as you're happy to slightly bastardise the pedals). Lots of other pedals utilise this method. You can make a washer that will act as a D-washer with a standard washer and a centre puch.
Hmmmm.. good idea fella, I could have all the parts machined as well... :cool:
Cheers
G

Latest posts

Back