Retro-mod Chain Line

npn

Retro Guru
bwohGT9.jpg

M67UQNS.jpg

1996 Trek 7000 with a 2x11 Deore XT drivetrain with Raceface crank. Chain was SLX HG601. No master link. It broke once, I repaired it on the spot, it broke again - same link, I removed it, repinned the chain, shifted to the smaller cog in the front and less than a mile it broke again. So it made me think - is something not right with my setup.

The bottom bracket shell is 68mm and the Raceface BB is 73mm so I had to use spacers, 2mm on the drive side an 3mm on the left side. But I don't get a straight line for chain even at largest rear / smaller front.

Thoughts?

Otherwise is a beast - climbs better than any of my other bikes and even with the 26x2.4 somewhat large tires...

Only before it broke the first time. That was my first thought too - without the oversized pin, it was inevitable to break fast

Yeah, i'd say chainline is a red herring, worst case, it's only going to be a couple of mm out.
Not lining up large rear/small front is not surprising, you'd expect it to be nearer to aligned on the 5/6/7 sprockets

Not using an OS pin when rejoining an 11 speed chain is almost certainly the cause, get yourself a couple of quick links and you'll be set.

Latest posts

Back