90s GT Karakoram serial number and frame ID question

debrisslide

Retro Newbie
Had a search here but no luck.....Does anyone here know about anything about serial numbers? I am looking at buying a supposed 94 Karakoram but it is hard to say for sure as it has been repainted. Serial number could be TY01529? Sound right? It has rack mounts/fender eyelets on the rear stays need the brake mounts so I am suspicious of model and year and a 27.2mm post. Cheers.

The serial format doesn't seem quite right. They should have serial numbers both sides of the bottom bracket.

The format for 1994 onwards should be something like: H3G2 #### #####

Your format seems more similar to a pre-94 frame, which should be: T#### A### ####

I haven't owned a '94, so not sure about the rack mounts, though I think they should be there, or the seat post size. They were made of Tange double-butted MTB - the earlier ones made with this took a 26.4mm post, but that might have changed.

I can confirm the serial number logic. The number of my Tequesta is H3M5 4603 94087, 94 model year fits with the fork being stamped 1993 and a nearly complete STX equipment that was used for the Tequesta from 94 to 96.
I am intrigued about the first 4 characters. They look like they have been stamped seperately, presumably before the final serial number. Is it a stamp from Tange or whichever supplier GT used? Of all old serial numbers I found, H3 seems to be consistent. What does H3M5 mean? PXL_20211101_202128050.jpg

Of all old serial numbers I found, H3 seems to be consistent. What does H3M5 mean?

I haven't collected enough '94> frame numbers to be able to decipher anything further than the year, but if anyone ants to send me numbers for any GT steel frames, please do and I'll add them to my log and provide any insight I can.

Back