Retro Spud

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Sorry guys posted a reply below which screwed the screen resolution up
not sure what to do about it. :oops:

After avidly reading countless build threads I thought I’d stick my head above the parapet and stick by 1st build out there for all to see and comment on, I've got big plans for the coming weeks /months, just gotta be finshed for Mountain Mayhem in June

Almost twelve months ago I wanted a cheap Retro full bouncer to hit the trails on as my bones are starting to feel every bump that my 94 F2 Pace encountered and I came across Rowley’s Orange X1 in original but tired condition, After promising Rowley that I’d take care of his X1 and solemnly promise not break it for bits I took her home, After spending a few shekels on my new purchase I hit the trails and so started a totally un-expected love affair. :oops:

Now I know I’ve chosen a model from Orange that’s quirky and courts controversial like a pot of Marmite, some love it …. Others hate it! :twisted: and everyone has an opinion, so go easy and Please don’t flame me ! I’ve heard most of the comments like “is that a P7 Cut ‘n’ Shut??” many times, I know this will never be an iconic bike, Unified Rear triangles never lived up to the hype and I’ll never be able to financially justify the time nor money spent on it... But I don’t care ! I’m rebuilding my X1 purely for my own enjoyment and to blast the local woods in Retro Style (okay last bit very subjective). Any help or pointers along the way would be most welcome.

My project starts with a 1996 Orange X1 in almost original spec built with LX M565/ STX-RC group set / Stratos rear shock and running Canti’s, The Dude even gave me the original receipt from 16yrs ago along with a pre launch clipping which was even older from MB UK or MTB pro that he’d saved from 1995 detailing Orange’s top secret project entitled X1 and its upcoming debut, This guy had loved the bike for so long it sort of felt like I was taking his daughter of his hands !

First thing to have surgery was the front end, The 63mm MK1 Judy’s had at best about 30mm of travel and rebound was painfully slow, Upon stripping them down the elastomers had crumbled to a nothing and the original rebound cartridge was devoid of oil, Having looked everywhere for a replacement rebound cartridge I had to settle for 80mm MK2 offering from Risse and a set of Springs courtesy of Wing Springs ….. And so started challenge #1

(Before I start I'm sure someone will come up with a obvious answer that would have saved me a good few hours) :oops:
MK 1 Judys use an M5 Bolt to secure the stanchion in the fork lower, MK2’s use an M6 bolt that physically won’t fit as the head (let alone the thread) is too big for the recess it fits into. After a search on Ebay I found a M6 to M5 adapter and after reducing the length of the shaft by the corresponding amount I screwed in the adapter and then set about grinding the Hex head to the same diameter as my R/S shaft. (see second picture)

Next up is surgery to the rear end which even for a newbie to the world of full suspension needs a makeover and the lovely URT backend and fork lowers are off for a lick of paint and possibly new chrome or a good polish for the frame

Attachments

• DSCF6192.JPG
    DSCF6192.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 5,792
  • X1 when bought web.jpg
    X1 when bought web.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 5,796
I have to say I'm impressed with your judy modification, something I could do with more info on as I have some nos dampers and don't really want to drill the lowers to accommodate the larger bolts required. Do you have any more info on how you did this and where you sourced the adapter from as I'm sure others would benefit/appreciate this too.

As for the frame, it's not without it's charm, I myself prefer the full sussers that actually look like bikes rather than motorbikes on the slim fast shakes.

"I’m rebuilding my X1 purely for my own enjoyment"

I don't think anyone can flame you for that, after all, isn't that why we own our bikes?

I look forward to seeing how this all works out.

You never know, our paths might cross; I intend the visit the good old FoD sometime soon, as for many years I used to take the day off work on my birthday (which is in February) to ride some of the forest trails.

Rock Shock modification

iSHAW

Please find below the link to a crib sheet detailing the work carried out in order to fit Type II internals to MK1 Judy's http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 60#1486060

Hope it all makes sense ... happy to make changes if anyone spots any errors including bad grammer :oops:

due to file size and type I've had to scan each page in seperatly (if anyone knows how to upload PDF's let me know)

If anyone wants a PDF copy PM with your email address

cheers

Gotta Love them Guys at Orange

Orange UK have come up trumps today,
not only were they sympathetic to my quest about rebuilding a relic they were actually interested and came good on their promise to find me new pivot point bushings and shaft for the rear end, they also came good with some decals and then only charged me buttons (Top Guys). ;)

Top Draw customer service :LOL:

Attachments

• 1 New Pivot Bushings.JPG
    1 New Pivot Bushings.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 5,552
  • 2 Decals from Orange UK.JPG
    2 Decals from Orange UK.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 5,552
Got the rear end back from Argos in Bristol

Fork's weren't ready but I just had to collect the rear end and the main frame from Argos in Bristol,
The guys did a cracking job with the URT the Mango with silver flake really works and the Chrome almost looks like new again.... :cool: if the sun comes out I'm gonna need sun glass

To compliment the paint and Polish I've decided to hang my newly aquired NOS M737 groupset on it and to add to the bling factor a set of Chris King hubs... which I didn't realise were so dusty :oops:

Looking forward to getting the lower shock legs back next week and hopefully slinging a leg over it soon

Attachments

• Dusty Chris Kings.JPG
    Dusty Chris Kings.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 5,480
  • NOS M737 Shifters.JPG
    NOS M737 Shifters.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 5,479
  • NOS M737 XT Groupset.JPG
    NOS M737 XT Groupset.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 5,478
Nice to see the old chap getting some tlc (that doesn't sound right). Good work! Glad your enjoying borrowing it!

After the day we've had I wouldn't have a problem if you wanted to take both daughters off my hands but maybe just for a couple of days.

Rowley you ain't getting her back buddy !!

Rowley you ain't getting her back buddy !! She Mine............ :LOL:

But in your memory I did have your name put on the rear non drive stay before they applied the clear coat. (hope this eases the pain a little) ;)

Attachments

• Rowley Rear Stay .JPG
    Rowley Rear Stay .JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 5,347

Latest posts

Back