rowley":2gd999da said:
Very nice job you've done there. Slight pang of regret but not one that will turn me to drink! Was it rechromed in the end or just polished?

Rowley

The guys at Argos talked me into having it polished, which I gotta say was a hell of a lot cheaper than a full re chrome, and to be honest I'm glad they did as the money saved was put towards the wheels :LOL:
(must stay away from the "for sale for sale forum" :? As I keep falling in love with all sort of shinny kit and will end up selling my soul to the devil. . . . Or I'll end up with a divorce !!!!)

Tell me about it. I made the mistake of going to the Bristol handmade bike show and have set my heart on a Condor Paris which I found you can have in any colour only for an extra £100! Completely impractical bonkers money and have no real use for it but it's very very nice. Anyone want a Vespa et4 or a 2009 (?)ltd edition clockwork??!

Oops 2007 clockwork. Polishing brought it up nicely though didn't it? What about the difficult bit behind the suspension mounts. And what is the silver stencil on the chainstay? I can't make it out. We'll have to hook up for a ride at some point. Incidentally the nicely matching saddle was purchased from the Rotrax cycles in southampton a few days before he closed up shop. Never seen one before or since.

rowley":3qoo7xym said:
Polishing brought it up nicely though didn't it? What about the difficult bit behind the suspension mounts. And what is the silver stencil on the chainstay? I can't make it out. We'll have to hook up for a ride at some point. Incidentally the nicely matching saddle was purchased from the Rotrax cycles in southampton a few days before he closed up shop. Never seen one before or since.

The guys at Argos did me proud with the polishing, as you point out the bit behind the suspension mount couldn't be polished up like new, however they sold me on the fact that a small amount of patina wouldn't be a bad thing :?
The silver Stencil on the chain stay is only the Lizard Skin logo printed on the Helicopter Tap which I'm going to remove with the help of some trusty M.E.K this weekend.
As for the saddle you pulled a blinder there buddy as its defo one of a kind and here to stay :LOL:
I'd be only to happy to meet up for a ride, I hope to ride the up coming National Series at Surrey Hills if you fancy seeing the old girl again...or if you can't wait until then do a Google "Images" search for "bye bye orange x1" :cry: and then start to reminisce ;)
it only seems like last month that picture was taken !

Attachments

• bye bye orange x1.jpg
    bye bye orange x1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,620
Ah! Me pre op! I've aged so much since then. I shall have a think about that ride and ask mrs rowley nicely. Might be pushing my luck what with going to le tour and 2 blur warm up gigs already this summer.

ChrisG":t8inbm9i said:
That look really rather nice Nick and very shiney :cool:

You need to to go and get it muddy now :twisted:

After what seemed an eternality my NOS Real 11-28t cassette finally arrived and was promptly fitted along with a Chris King Lock ring

Not being one for building garage queens the timing was perfect as the following day was the Latest round of the RB National Series in Surrey and the old girl was off to get an outing in the woods, where my technical abilities would be tested for real, (I must confess I did take what amounts to a mini work shop with me squirrelled away in my camel back)

Thankfully nothing fell off and we got round in one piece, As for getting muddy that was out of the question given it was 400c in the shade and the ground had drained well and turned to dust, so the riding was quick and the X1 soaked up the bumps a treat.

Only down side was my new wheels (both) developed a slack cones and the wheels have a high degree of play... having had a good look at them I've had to order a special jig/tool from Aspire in order to tighten them up ! when it arrives I'll be on U-tube watching the How 2 Video.

Sadly I didn't get into any action shots on the official thread (maybe next time)

JamesMatlock":11j2esk7 said:
You have done a fantastic job on the X1 sir, it looks lovely. Well done.

Cheers Buddy

Its never going to be as desireable as a Yeti or a Chas Roberts but it turns heads never the less... maybe because it looks a little awkward :LOL:

Well the old girl went to Mayhem this year and despite the weather did me proud,
got plenty of comments and brought back a few memories for many fellow competitors
mainly what they used to ride back in the mid 90's

Jussa like buses if you wait long enough 2 turn up at the same time :shock:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=243726&start=15

since my last post I've received the original 1996 bike shop receipt from Rowley which is now a treasured item along with bike itself

it might be butt ugly but I love it.

Attachments

• muddy orange.jpg
    muddy orange.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 556
Just been dusted off and looking like it might be going to Mayhem this year after a 6 year hiatus

Love this bike for all the wrong reasons

Latest posts

Back