YST Threadless Bottom Bracket, any good?

So tomorrow I'll install the YST BB on my bike.
I am still confused if I do actually need to chamfer the shell.or.not.

The instructions do not mention this step at all and read people mounting it with nothing being done on the shell.

Re:

I used a YST threadless BB on an Viscount Aerospace frame that was designed for press fit sealed bearings. I thought about chamfering the edges of the shell with a file but decided against it thinking I could do this later if necessary; cutting bits off a frame should always be a last resort imho.

So I installed the threadless BB without chamfering the shell and while the fit perhaps isn’t quite as neat, the ‘cups’ of the BB sitting perhaps 1mm proud of the shell, this did not have any noticeable affect in operation. I did need to file away the ends of the frame tubes that projected into the shell to give enough clearance to install the BB but you may not need to do this.

As the spindle should be in the same position with the shell chamfered or not, I don’t think that this should affect the chainline, assuming that the cranks don’t actually foul the cups – and I can’t think that they will. I suggest that you try this first and consider chamfering the shell later if you think this would improve the appearance. My Viscount remains as I originally installed it.

Re. YST BBs generally, I do understand that the quality can be variable but mine has been fine and I certainly can’t complain for £17 or whatever it was that it cost. I hope this helps.

It does a lot thanks!
Will try fitting as it is and see how it goes, then chamfer away in case I need/want it.
Luckily chamfering doesn't prevent going the fix-the-threads route later on.

I did try to position the BB this morning, just to see how it'd fit and indeed it does stay 1-2mm away from the shell (means no need to even face it!)

I'll just have to try and see.

Thanks!

Re:

Dredging up an old thread.

Has anyone tried a YST threadless external repair BB?

I’m wondering if the shell still needs to be chamfered like the square taper version?

Attachments

• 5BB81977-9E5D-48BE-B897-3E49B9A7464E.png
    5BB81977-9E5D-48BE-B897-3E49B9A7464E.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 65AED109-B2CD-4274-A28E-6A9596B7E53D.jpeg
    65AED109-B2CD-4274-A28E-6A9596B7E53D.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3
Back