Yepp Mini Child Seat and Cantilever Brakes

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

Not sure where on the forum this question goes best, so will try here first.

I have a Yep Mini child seat aheadset bracket (see picture) that I want to fit on a bike with cantilevers. Problem
is that the front part (with the 2 small holes) sticks out really far under the stem. This means it's interfering with the
brake cable, which has to do a sharp bend to go round the bracket.

The only solution seems to be to cut a hole in the front of the bracket so there's room for the brake cable.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on whether this is a good/bad idea. The Yepp instructions of course say you should not modify the bracket, but it is made from pretty thick steel plate (about 3mm). The front two holes don't actually seem to serve any purpose unless you have a really long stem (the u-shape bar goes over the top of the stem to stop the seat swinging about, you can use either the front or back two holes depending on whether you have a short or long stem).

OTOH it is for a child seat, so I don't want to do anything stupid.

Other solutions (longer stem, v-brakes, etc) won't work because of the specifics of this build.

Cheers,

Johnny

Attachments

• Yepp Mini.jpg
    Yepp Mini.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 993
Re:

Wondering how this worked out for you. I'm facing the same issue, and looking at drilling a hole to let the cable pass through the adapter. I'll be using the standard adapter for the Yepp Mini on a quill stem, and from the photos (I haven't purchased one yet) it looks to be a solid hunk of ABS plastic that ought to be drillable.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Re:

Hey,

I think I abandoned the idea in the end and just used the rear rack mount for the Yepp mini.
The ahead mount is quite different from the quill mount, so I'm afraid I can't say whether it's a
good idea to drill the plastic mount. Are you sure you need to though? The problem with the
ahead mount was that it sticks really really far out. Doesn't look like the quill mount would be so problematic.

Cheers,

Johnny

Latest posts

Back