Yay, I have rideable bike (DBR Axis TT)...

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Last weekend I came to realise that while I have a lot of bikes, none of them were actually rideable. I've now got 3, one retro-mod, the others modern.

I took the DBR Axis TT for a ride, wow it feels very light despite replacing the ti bars, stem and post for modern alloy and carbon parts.

There were a couple of things I noticed on the ride:

1. Rigid is rigid. Having got used to the cushioned plushness of front suspension, I was not quite prepared for feeling every minute lump and bump. Something I'll have to get used to I guess, or swap in some bounce.

2. Pauls brakes are fiddly to set up. Still not quite happy with the fronts but they do provide great stopping power. Maybe just me but it felt stronger than my two disc break builds I've also recently taken on shakedown rides.

Anyway, pics below. Appreciate it may not be to everyone's taste being a retro frame with modern kit.

Feedback welcome, especially on brake set up and smoothing out the ride (tyre pressures?).

Next builds will be my team rts and a lightning.

Then a big cull of everything not built i think.

Attachments

• PSX_20210214_124111.jpg
    PSX_20210214_124111.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 302
  • PSX_20210214_124054.jpg
    PSX_20210214_124054.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 286
  • PSX_20210214_124031.jpg
    PSX_20210214_124031.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 302
  • PSX_20210214_124009.jpg
    PSX_20210214_124009.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 303
Re: Yay, I have rideable bike...

I can't offer any advice re the brakes or ride but looks great!

Re: Yay, I have rideable bike...

rwm1962":3g47oynp said:
I can't offer any advice re the brakes or ride but looks great!
Thanks. I had a lot of kit left over after I sold my sts's. The xtr stuff is essentially nos aside from a couple of trips round the local park on paths. Previously the build was m952, will probably regret selling the 217 sunsets and syncros ti post but hey ho.

What a gorgeous frame, personally I love the old diamond backs! Who didn't have a db bitd hey?
Fair shout Ian. Great job mate

That's nice, i like it :)

I have never ridden RC31's, always assumed they would have a bit of dampening. For sure, tyre pressure will help smooth out the smaller bumps, and have you thought about a booster for the front? should help a bit with the bite.

Re:

Oddly I was thinking about a front brace as well, but I have a shiny version of the rear so not matching. May well hunt for one but to be honest the braking is great, just fiddly to set up. Plus despite the brakes being essentially new, they have more play than I think is right. Held together by circlip that I can take off (without scratching anything??) and fit a shim, but shouldn't have to really.

Back