XTR M900 Canti bushings

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Has anyone changed the bushings on the M900 XTR cantilever brakes (BR-M900)

Not sure if mine are a little worn, they sort of look it like it as the surface is starting to loose it colour and the two ridges from the front and back are becoming more prominent in one I just checked ?
Not sure if ever they where a spare part, doubt it. But this is retrobike and somebody might of search for replacements.

Can add more details, just thought I'd ask before I pop to work.

You mean the metal cilinders that go in to the brake arms?
Try to clean it as much as possble and grease it well. As long as it is moving freely it is good. It isn't a heavy bearing, just a metal cilinder and with a good grease it will move well.

LTS Biker":24igztub said:
You mean the metal cilinders that go in to the brake arms?
Try to clean it as much as possble and grease it well. As long as it is moving freely it is good. It isn't a heavy bearing, just a metal cilinder and with a good grease it will move well.

No the bushing these rub against in the actual arm itself. They have real bushings in these things (what makes then so nice), It looks like a copper bushing, probably coated in PTFE (Teflon) by the looks of it.

It moves fine, just has a bit more wobble that I would like to remove but as I doubt it would remove it it's more a lot out of curiosity if it's possible.

It's probably a bit most people don't notice and is not in the blow out diagrams,
so...

Attachments

• br-m900 bushing view.JPG
    br-m900 bushing view.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 520
ah those. the amp frame/forks use something similar for the pivots. i'm guessing you should be able to find them, but i don't know were myself. sorry. :oops:

RockiMtn":1490cab1 said:
ah those. the amp frame/forks use something similar for the pivots. i'm guessing you should be able to find them, but i don't know were myself. sorry. :oops:
not a problem, as neither do I.

Do you know whether these bushings are removeable? The powdercoater didn't want to try removing them and damage them if they are ot replaceable and on Shimano's diagram it doesn't chow them as a replaceable part (I've stolen someone's image from another thread)

BR-M900-C_1996.gif

Should be but didn't try in the end.
That is what makes these so much better than other canti's of the time.

You can see they are split, so should just come out with a bit of force. It's the replacement you need first.
Might be glued down?

That's why I don't want to risk it without knowing someone has done it successfully 😅

The ones on the cantis I have are in good condition, so I don't want to replace them. I just need to remove them for powdercoating. If I can't do that without damaging the nylon bushings, I'll have to paint them myself.

Latest posts

Back