XT 730 hubs with a modern cassette

Midorimage

Old School Hero
I recently bought a 1991 Kona Explosif. Sadly it is in rough shape, with a hodge podge of parts and it is a size too big. For $50, I can't complain too much. :D Luckily it came with a nice matching XT m730 wheel set. I am planing to put them on my daughter's 1992 Kona Hot to replace some unmatched modern wheels. The bike is using 7 speed XT thumb shifters and a recently bought 7 speed cassette. The rear hub that the Hot currently has is a Shimano 8/9 speed and I used a spacer to get the shifting correct. The cassette that came with the Explosif is a bit rusty and old. Will I need to use the spacer with the the modern cassette when used with the m730 XT hub? I believe m730 was originally seven speed.

Thanks in advance

The modern cassette (if it's 7 speed) will fit fine. If it's an 8/9 or higher you willneed to remove one sprocket and spacer to get it to fit.

The only oddity is that your hub won't take a cassette with a smallest cog below 12T. You need to swap the freehub body to a later one (like 7s STX) to take an 11T cog.

The only oddity is that your hub won't take a cassette with a smallest cog below 12T. You need to swap the freehub body to a later one (like 7s STX) to take an 11T cog.[/quote]

Thanks all! I will check how many teeth the cog has.

Back