X-lite stem £550

Let's not confuse 'Asking' price with the 'Selling' price. 2 very different things. When I see a Marin Muirwoods FS on the bay for £400, I don't jump to the conclusion that my old bikes are worth a fortune, just that the seller must be smoking on some good gear.
These items will all remain FS (unsold) for a very long time.

£55 for an Altus chainset...😐

I have an STX RC chainset and BB that I’m willing to let go for £250 if anyone wants it. Was NOS until it was used, now it’s Mint nearly NOS. Kult, retro, vintage etc. Payment in Bitcoin only.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Let's not confuse 'Asking' price with the 'Selling' price. 2 very different things. When I see a Marin Muirwoods FS on the bay for £400, I don't jump to the conclusion that my old bikes are worth a fortune, just that the seller must be smoking on some good gear.
These items will all remain FS (unsold) for a very long time.
I sell a lot of stuff from my Mother-in-Law's house via eBay, so when I googleresearch an item, very often the first hit is an eBay listing for hundreds of pounds. "Oooooh" I go, every time and then scroll down and find the same things for £10, £12, £7.50 free postage, all still unsold. If they are worth a lot, the cheap ones would be snapped up in an instant.
I presume its like online scams where if one person bites, it's worth the effort of letting something sit there for ages at a ridiculous price.
Plus of course, there are certain people who WILL buy it because its so expensive as expensive = good.

I dare say very true. I imagine a conversation something like this;
Man in pub says "I must sell my old mountain bike that's kicking around in my garage", random bloke at the bar (an opinionated alcoholic that thinks he knows everything) pipes up & says "Oh old mountain bikes are worth loads of money these days". Cue discussion between a pair of idiots, first guy now thinks his GT Outpost is actually worth more than the 1991 RRP of £249.99 & lists it on ebay for £500 insinuating how rare & what a high quality & exclusive bicycle the Outpost is.

Good intentions & all that. Whilst I am a firm advocate of something being worth what someone is willing to pay for it, I seldom see a bidding war over a Marin Muirwoods and the plentiful supply of unsold retro bikes on all the selling platforms tells a story.

Would have done it by now. I'm 95% sure I sold a set of bars to this person and they were relisted before I'd even put them in the post 🤣

I just dug through my sales and saw I sold some Arch Rivals to them last year for £80 and it looks like they sold them on for... £80... if that is the same set in their feedback anyway

Also saw I bought my MBK Tracker Hi Tech from them a couple of years back. It was probably slightly overpriced considering all the crap that was attached to a nice frame. If I remember right too - they got a bit shouty when I took a couple of days to reply to a message 🤣

Had business with the seller both ways, great to deal with and has a nice bike collection too.

Pricing of this particular item aside (it's not mine), I tend to treat my listings on ebay a bit like items being sold on a shopping channel, particularly for items which I genuinely don't know where the price point is.
By this I mean I normally list an item with a fairly 'healthy' price initially, generally in keeping with what I believe to be the top market price for it, then gradually reduce it if it hasn't sold quickly. Everything sells eventually.
I dare not list items as an auction as they would definitely sell for 99p. 🤣

Back