WTF? Cracking Ti frame.

I have no metallurgy knowledge of welding experience (I can solder some electrical components onto a pcb🤪) but I'd think that a weld or its edges will be the weakest point that might fail again? I.e. It won't be stronger than the original tube [that failed already]?

If you sleeve the tube in a self-sufficient cf ring, it shouldn't fail unless the cf ring fails. And I don't see why it would, given the number of people riding plastic-fantastic framesets. So rough up the surface, stick a pilot into the tube, clamp (or jubilee clip - strictly no gaffer tape!) the tube from the outside and wrap some cf tow to make a sleeve around it. Wait for it to cure. Can even polish this turd and cover with some lacquer to make it look a bit better.

Welding or sleeving, the head tube will look fugly and it will be a "broken" frame, so I'm surprised to see people willing to pay over £100 for frame alone.
WHy a CF sleeve? Wouldn't steel be better?

How will you get steel onto it?

As I've said - my metalworking experience is close to zero. I know I can do the cf job, have the tow, hence the material choice.

Oh well. Its lost forever if you ask me. It is probably just too hard to swallow for the owner, I imagine, having a ti beauty that's useless. Maybe better to try to earn money for the material and forget it used to be a bicycle.

Dunno. If someone dropped one of these off at my doorstep in my size, I'd sleeve it and commute to work on it until it cracks somewhere else, but that's me - I'd ride anything once...
...Even a big black clock!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
50 to 100 quid for a potentially fixable titanium frame isn't wholly bonkers (although I'd be looking to pay at the lower end of that).

Back