Sorted WTB 1990-1993 Kona 20" or 21"

setspeed

Retro Guru
I'm looking for an early 90s steel framed Kona with rigid forks, in a big or the biggest size (20" or 21") for those years, as I'm 6'4" tall.
I'd love the yellow or white splatter paint job '90 Lava Dome (used to fantasise about that bike when I was a kid), but any model from the Lava Dome, Cinder Cone, Explosif etc from '90-'93 would be great, if not too expensive. I don't mind doing some work on it/project.
Any leads or pointers appreciated, thanks :)

Re:

The 1990 bikes are far removed from the 1993, there is a lot of development there. The ‘90 Lava Dome rides very different to the ‘90 Cinder Cone too. If you want slow and steady go ‘90 then after that they get racier and lighter.

Personally, my 20” 1990 Cinder Cone (sold a few years ago) was one of the nicest bikes to ride, very comfortable for hours in the saddle. My 1993 Explosif is very, very quick and 7-8lbs lighter :shock: but nowhere near as comfy with the low front end.

I’ve had 3 1990 Lava Domes :facepalm: I never got on with them and kept my 1990 Fire Mountain, I can’t quite put my finger on why....

SP

Re:

I've got a bare metal and clear coated 92 explosif with pace forks and exage lt groupset if you fancied custom splatter?

Re: Re:

Hmmm, maybe I'd be better off with a '90 Lava Dome, Cinder Cone or Fire Mountain then. In all honesty, the bike is for pootling round town, a few gentle road rides with my mate who has a hybrid bike, and maybe the odd off-road jolly when a few mates go out in the fields for some beers :D
I'm fully aware that beggars can't be choosers though, and the biggest sizes are probably the rarest, hence my initially specifying the large age range and model range.

Splatter Paint":t1ojuwxt said:
The 1990 bikes are far removed from the 1993, there is a lot of development there. The ‘90 Lava Dome rides very different to the ‘90 Cinder Cone too. If you want slow and steady go ‘90 then after that they get racier and lighter.

Personally, my 20” 1990 Cinder Cone (sold a few years ago) was one of the nicest bikes to ride, very comfortable for hours in the saddle. My 1993 Explosif is very, very quick and 7-8lbs lighter :shock: but nowhere near as comfy with the low front end.

I’ve had 3 1990 Lava Domes :facepalm: I never got on with them and kept my 1990 Fire Mountain, I can’t quite put my finger on why....

SP

Re: Re:

What size is it, and how much?

longun":gz4za18b said:
I've got a bare metal and clear coated 92 explosif with pace forks and exage lt groupset if you fancied custom splatter?

Back