Would love to hear your opinion on a vintage Serena

Karl T

Dirt Disciple
I'm looking at buying the above frame and forks on Ebay. Firstly I'd love to hear from anyone who has or has had a Serena and what your opinion is on them. Secondly I'd also like to know if a welded chain stay is something you've come across or have any experience with. Basically would it be safe to ride. Thank you in advance.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'm looking at buying the above frame and forks on Ebay. Firstly I'd love to hear from anyone who has or has had a Serena and what your opinion is on them. Secondly I'd also like to know if a welded chain stay is something you've come across or have any experience with. Basically would it be safe to ride. Thank you in advance.
The two main reasons for possibly buying are the size of the frame and the price range.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I don't see any reason the repair should be a problem if the dropout was prepped correctly before welding. Both sides of the joint should ground to form a V to achieve full penetration. I don't know the builder but looks like a quality well built frame.

That’s overpriced especially with a dodgy weld that you have no history & would need to get NDT Dye Penned or MPI’ed. it’s worth half what the seller is asking…..

A real repair, would be a complete new dropout. The question is though, how did it break in the first place and what other knock on affect might have occurred?

Thanks all for the feedback, I wasn't sure of the value of these frames but I was a bit wary of the repair. Seeing what you have said in your replies it's not worth the risk.

If it helps I asked time ago a quotation to replace a rear drop out (just one) and the price I got offered from a frame builder (basically some one who know how to do it properly...) was 300 euros. (I was providing the drop out that was another 30 euro) .

If it helps I asked time ago a quotation to replace a rear drop out (just one) and the price I got offered from a frame builder (basically some one who know how to do it properly...) was 300 euros. (I was providing the drop out that was another 30 euro) .
Thanks for the info, it's really good to get an idea of what it should have cost to repair properly.

Latest posts

Back