Work bikes

Are they Ortlieb back roller panniers? And what kind of rack. I'm going to buy panniers and rack. Both to do a few days touring. And the messages round town. Just looking for recommendatio s. Thanks.
They're Ortlieb back roller pannier bags and the rack is a tubus Evo. Great gear but pricey, however like most things, worth investing a bit if you plan to use it a lot :)

20221129_091503.jpg

First ride to work in a while today, and the first ride using Pogies.

I get very cold hands (Raynauds) so always looking for winter solutions. Initial finding's are.....good! My hands remained toasty (I had gloves on as well).

Mudguards back on soon I reckon.

Ride to work almost every day, only about a mile... When it's sunny/dry I use one from my Cannondale collection. When rainy/wet I ride with a mid 90's singlespeed Sunn touring bike with fenders, STX RC brakes and XT PD-T8000 pedals.

View attachment 662696
I must have missed this one. Such a gorgeous build! Might be just the motivation I need to raw my Genesis Day One.
I only just recently returned it to drop bars + cantilevers after running it with a flat bar + V-brakes through last winter.

P4150218.jpg

Last edited:
I must have missed this one. Such a gorgeous build! Might be just the motivation I need to raw my Genesis Day One.
I only just recently returned it to drop bars + cantilevers after running it with a flat bar + V-brakes through last winter.

View attachment 683779
I really like the close fitting mudguards - I fret about two contradictory things - looking rubbish (mudguards proud of tyres) and going over the bars (stick caught in mudguards fitted close to tyres). This looks nice but would terrify me. I think I’m going for a rear gen 1 crud guard on my Surly commuter, with front Mudhugger.

This….but 29 not 26…

1669724136913.jpeg

I really like the close fitting mudguards - I fret about two contradictory things - looking rubbish (mudguards proud of tyres) and going over the bars (stick caught in mudguards fitted close to tyres). This looks nice but would terrify me. I think I’m going for a rear gen 1 crud guard on my Surly commuter, with front Mudhugger.

This….but 29 not 26…
Ha! Yes, it's quite tight. I wouldn't dream of running as tight of a fender gap with any sort of treaded tyre. Bald Gatorskins don't really pick up much :LOL:

You can't actually see it from this photo but the rivets that secure the stay brace to the fender itself dissolved long ago so the plastic fender is now held in place on the fender stay by cut up rubber bands made out of inner tube. This achieves two things; it holds the fender in place, but it also allows the fender to shift then snap back into place in the event somthing does get caught.

*Touch wood* no stick encounteres yet!

My main daily commuter uses the same fenders but they have little plastic clips down by the fork that allow the fender stays to break away in the event of the scenario you describe. Much more conservative gap however.

Apologies for 700c content...

PA090609.jpg

This….but 29 not 26…

View attachment 683811
Try SKS veloflex. As few options as there are for MTBs full mudguards, I like how they look now, although not as sexy as tight full fitting ones!
PXL_20221122_182825734.jpg

I can call work bikes those which i use mostly. I ride enormous amount, most of the mileage was done on these.
For a long time this was my only one, used day to day. Still own it, but barely ridden, shame on me.
20211207_141328.jpg
Then i realised that i want to ride retro no matter what, and they should be cheap.
So downgraded to this, which i found almost nos. Panniers are way uncool, according to @grantoury
20221219_124321.jpg
20221213_134107.jpg
And to this, which is also used as a work bike sometimes, because my casual shop rides are 40 km ones on forest trails.
20221121_151723.jpg
And i don't like mudguards, i like tire clearance. If it comes to get a little dirty, so what? Say no to mudguards.
20221222_140120.jpg

Back