Whyte Bikes E-5 Works XC FS frame & Fox RP2 shock SOLD

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just listed this on ebay but I thought I'd add it here too, much nicer to sell through RB :) It's a Whyte Bikes E-5 Works XC Alloy & Carbon Full suspension frame (no fork) with Fox RP2 shock. I bought this as a complete bike from the original owner and have the original receipt for £2000 (which was itself nearly half price in a sale as it was the previous year's model).

The frame is for 26'' wheels, disc brake only. Nice dark chrome finish with carbon rear section. It is marked as Medium 17.5", and is 19'' from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube. I'm a shade under 6ft and it was perfect for me with a 90mm stem, but there would be plenty of room either way (its original owner was 6ft 2). This is a very lightweight frame - as pictured it weighs 2.820kg including the headset, BB and front mech, so the bare frame weight will be about 2.5kg, very respectable for a FS frame including the shock weight. Look online for an MBR review of the bike with the same frame and rear shock. It will come with the rear shock installed, the Whyte QR seat clamp, an M750 Shimano XT front mech and the FSA Orbit Extreme headset installed (complete and in good order).

The frame takes a straight (non-taper) 1&1/8" steerer fork and 30.9 seatpost. It fits 9mm QR wheels (non-boost), although this Whyte model uses a special 'Big Gripper' rear dropout which widens and stiffens the regular QR axle. It has a special axle that fits through a 9mm QR rear wheel and the bolts on large diameter 'bobbins' that clamp securely into the dropouts with twisting levers on the frame. The axle assembly will be included. The Whyte seat QR should ideally be replaced with a bolt-style clamp since it is well known with that this model doesn't always adequately secure the seatpost to stop it potentially twisting in use. Applying carbon paste may help this but I had planned to buy a KCNC SC13 double clamp seatpost clamp to resolve it. However I needed the parts for a different bike and never got around to building this one back up again!

Condition-wise, the bike was only very lightly used (and impeccably maintained) so the frame is in excellent condition for its age. The Fox RP2 shock holds air fine and functions very smoothly, with working lockout. Cosmetically very good overall, though of course there are minor marks and scratches and marks from normal light use here and there; there are some scratches in the lacquer of the carbon monocoque section in a couple of places. See the note above about replacing the QR clamp, ideally. There is also a bit of damage to the plastic cable guide that runs underneath the bottom bracket which could either be superglued or just replaced, they're generic and only a couple of quid.

Priced to sell at £140 collected - NOW SOLD

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Back