Which fork would you buy?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
There's a sale on. You have just bought a used set of piles that need work. You are tinkering with a build for your 14 year old, and liking to replace a set of 32mm older revs. The bike may not get ridden as intended, but may go off road occasionally.

Rockshox 35 tk silver coil
Rockshox Judy for a few quid more
Rockshox Yari for double the price of the Judy

All are 29er boost forks

Frame is a 27.5 non boost, but have boost adapter set for the front wheel

Silly to put a 29er fork on a 27.5 frame? Fine, especially with a bargain fork? Don't be silly, just service the 27.5 pikes and be done with it. Stick with the current revs, there's nothing wrong with them?

Or another option not on my radar?

You’d need to drop 20mm travel to balance the lengths, otherwise the bike will ride awful.

Out of those options, I’d service the Pikes.
The new forks are just causing more problems than they solve and none of the dampers are better than you’ll have on the Pike.

Or just stick a set of rigid forks on and tell him it was good enough for Steve Peat.

I run a 27.5 fork on a 26" bike. not had an issue yet.

20mm can be dealt within sag.

personally, service the pikes, agree with Clubby. for the time being, leave the revs on, nothing wrong with them other than being rock shox, but that can't be helped judging by your list of forks. :)

True, but in reality 650b is nearer 27 than 27.5, it was just convenient marketing to put it slap bang in the middle. It’s less of a difference the way you’ve done it.

20mm is a lot of extra sag. There’s only 10mm in the difference in sag measurements of my 100mm and 160mm fork

personally, service the pikes, agree with Clubby. for the time being, leave the revs on, nothing wrong with them other than being rock shox, but that can't be helped judging by your list of forks. :)
Thanks. The RS theme is really down to me having lots of spare parts and I know my way around them. I do have some DVO and fox on other bikes. That said I don't have an issue with RS forks, they work, have longer service intervals than fox and in my limited experience seem to be harder wearing than Fox for example. The earlier fox forks seemed to be tougher than later ones, even kashima seemed a gimmick rather than delivering longer lasting stanchions.

Ok, potential change of plan, I may build a budget 29er. With the same fork options, £80 for 35s, £100 for Judy's and £200 for Yari, what would you pick? 35s are coil silver, Judy air silver, and Yari RC motion control.

Head says 35s as cheapest and coil, so no worries about air pressures. And will be cheapest. Been ages since I've had a coil fork.

Found a frame I can get at a fair price, boost wheels too, the rest I can find in my stash.

I went fur Judy’s on the wife’s bike. Plus I think you can travel space them rather than air shaft change. Do check that.

I believe Isla bike for instance run a 26” Judy on a 24” frame with really reduced travel.

Although I I would just get the right fork for the frame.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Head says 35s as cheapest and coil, so no worries about air pressures. And will be cheapest. Been ages since I've had a coil fork.

This for the boy’s bike? At his age may well be too light for the standard spring that comes with the fork. If so you’ve either got a fork that’s rubbish or you’re forking out for another spring. Good coil is great, I coil converted my Lyriks and they were amazing, but most modern air spring are so good these days. So easy to adjust to taste and lose virtually no pressure when left sitting for months on end.

Yari is admittedly twice the price but in the long run the best choice. 35mm aluminium stanchions, others are steel and Judy is 32mm. Tuneable with tokens, (Judy isn’t) and although the motion control damper isn’t top end, it’s very reliable. My Yari RC have done 7 years with only 3 lowers service.s Damper has never needed touched. Air springs are £20-30 and the fork can be extended up to 170mm. Don’t trim the steerer too short and it’ll last as he grows.

Back