Which brands started as cool and have managed to remain so?

I'm a 90's Kona owner and about to build up an On One frame as my main rider.

Seeing as how nearly none of those that truly meant anything to me are still independently owned by the same people that started them, and aside from some of the already mentioned builders and companies that, regardless, maintain at least a semblance of their original identity, aesthetic, sense of humor, adventure and innovation, I'm going to go with the aforementioned Steve Potts and this week's big new/old obsession of mine: Curtlo.

If I was going to buy a modern, non-custom anything, from an older company that's still around, I'd probably go with a Moots or Ritchey. Just because some of their bikes at least feel connected in some way to some of their past designs.

Whyte. The early stuff (PRST/46) took it's own path. Not so sure they could be called cool now though. I remember when Cannondale were cool in the mid-90's (Tinker/Missy/Myles era). It's now a shadow of the company it was since their ruinous attempt at motorised stuff.

DeKerf definitely has a "coolness" that is in part the rarity of a boutique brand, but they are really pretty as well.

Really love that Chris Chance is still building frames, and I always remember the Dave Hemming two-tone Yo. Super cool.

IndyFab are still doing it from a building perspective and for me their work is really rather nice.

Hmmm, steel theme emerging....

I am a self confessed orange fanboy, and while the range has taken a few detours of late I think their focus on keeping some whippety steel models is pretty cool. They do have infrequent nods to their past - and in the RX9 I think they have a pretty cool gravel/cross bike (which is on the list). Full disclosure, I have a 2020 P7 alongside my 1998 P7.

I have also been looking at On-One's - though I'm not sure of their coolness, versus general affordability for a great bit of kit.

Nobody liked Club Roost BITD? Not sure if they're even still around lol but they were cool to me.

Definitely round my gaff. I-Beam stems were the bees knees, as were their riser bars with braces.

Last edited:
I love pace of the 90s but I’d not own a modern one personally. They always seem 3 years behind everyone else
I own a 2010 Pace RC104 which I have had from new, which I love, steel frame with top end gear. I also have a Pace RC300 which I purchased recently. Square tubing & all good quality. Don't like the new stuff or the customer service, they are not interested unless you want to buy a new bike, which is sad. they stock very little replacement parts.

Back