Which bike to buy

gandi

Retro Newbie
Hello,
I am after buying a decent MTB, it doesn’t have to be a collectors item or mega bucks but I do want a decent one, my problem is that I am vertically challenged or SHORT, so I was wondering would there be a really good child’s bike, I say child but early teens. My road bike used to be 20” square or around 50cms.
Anyway any help or suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Specialized have always offered good sturdy bikes in a range of sizes. A rockhopper or stumpjumper would be a good choice from almost any period.

Re:

I got my 11 year old son a 15" orange clockwork.
Great bike .
I've seen a couple of small p7 s on e.bay at the mo as my wife wants a bike around the same size .

Re:

I don’t mind on budget so long as it’s not ridiculous, I actually need 2 bikes, me and the mrs, she is 5’2” and I’m 5’5”, that’s why I posted about a child’s/teenagers bike.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 22.04.26.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 22.04.26.png
    620.1 KB · Views: 275
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
gandi":3nqxpjki said:
Hello,
I am after buying a decent MTB, it doesn’t have to be a collectors item or mega bucks but I do want a decent one, my problem is that I am vertically challenged or SHORT, so I was wondering would there be a really good child’s bike, I say child but early teens. My road bike used to be 20” square or around 50cms.
Anyway any help or suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

I suppose my first question would be, what type of riding are you looking to do on your new bikes? Are you sticking to footpaths/smooth paths or looking at gravel, forest narrow track (singletrack) where you'd find roots, or perhaps somewhere you'd find stones etc.

Are you specifically looking for a pre 1997 bike, something modern or no preference?

There will be a myriad of options to suit you, regardless of height. The most important thing to nail down is where you're likely to be riding, your preferences for comfort vs. performance and things of this nature.

Budget is also a major factor and if you can give an indication, it will narrow things down substantially. I know you said not "ridiculous" but I promise you, there are many, many people who consider £500 for a bike to be ridiculous when as we know, its not even an entry level budget for a modern bike, not really.

Based on what you've said as is, I'd probably be looking at some model of Whyte, if you want modern. They are reasonably priced, by all accounts pretty well made and they also come in a wide variety of sizes from kids, to teens to adult. The problem you may have is availability.

Inside leg measurements would also help in a fitting.

Any further info would be very helpful in assisting you.

Re:

Hello,
Thanks for the replies, in answer to your questions about where I will be riding :-
Mainly canal tow paths, farm tracks and single paths definitely no hills !
Inside leg 29” (main reason for small frame) just my choice but I like a lot of seat pin out.

Back