Where did all the good stuff go?

sunchaser

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Ok, so I’ve recently returned to retrbike after a few years absence.

I’ve decided to spend a bit of money on my Kona & change (for changes sake) some of the components.

Some of the parts I’d have thought would still be available to buy new but, I’m shocked that most of it is no longer available new.. a few examples

Salsa flip off skewers - can’t get, certainly in the UK

Ti straight bars 25.4 - thought Seven, Moots etc would still do these, but no chance.

Chris King classic hubs for rim brake wheels - no longer made

Even Thomson - no 25.4 Elite stems & black & silver seatposts hardly any sizes compared to what they used to make (mainly 27.0)

I get that things develop & move on but, I’d have thought that there would still be a market for some of theses parts..

Interested to hear thoughts of you guys..

Cheers, :) :?

Re:

Its hard to find a lot of the period correct retro stuff but it is still out there but its not cheap if you want good stuff like hubs. As you say a lot of the spares are no longer made, so choice is more limited.

I think much of what’s been available for the past 20 years has probably been old stock, even if it’s not strictly classed as such.

It’s not just “good stuff” that’s getting hard to buy new... I’ve noticed supply of lots of basic staple parts drying up all the time, even quite pedestrian stuff like basic tyres and headsets that you might assume are current production items. One minute it’s listed as a stock item, the next it’s disappeared, never to be seen again.

I rebuilt a 70s Italian road bike 15 years ago. Was able to buy NOS campag consumables, cables etc all cheaply. Now this stuff is unobtainium. I didn’t realise how lucky I was at the time...

Enjoy what you can still get while it lasts... the good news is that in the long run it should mean a rise in values for the old bikes we own. And ultimately some nice repro parts will be re-manufactured once demand and values rise. They won’t be cheap though.

Besides, by that time people like me will probably have moved on to whatever nobody else wants and is cheap. Which is really what “retro” is about for me... if anything I’m more frustrated that there’s not more interest in “post 1998” retrobikes on here. The sweet spot in terms of value and accessibility has definitely moved on IMO.

Agree with the above, especially 26” tyres! Quite a battle finding some decent folding tyres that weren’t too wide. To me 2.1 is wide enough..

Also, forgot to mention ‘nice’ rim brakes & replacement pads. They proved harder to find than I as expecting.

They have to discontinue products to help consumerisum and progress the industry. We are all meant to be buying and riding modern bikes and components :)

Though a lot of things on the list are still available quite readily, though obviously secondhand.

mk one":5ykdoklr said:
They have to discontinue products to help consumerisum and progress the industry. We are all meant to be buying and riding modern bikes and components :)

Though a lot of things on the list are still available quite readily, though obviously secondhand.

Yes, guess you right.

I’ll just have to bide my time, keep an eye on here & eBay & just be patient, although this has never been my strong point...

:LOL:

sunchaser":563glgtz said:
mk one":563glgtz said:

Yes, guess you right.

I’ll just have to bide my time, keep an eye on here & eBay & just be patient, although this has never been my strong point...

Anything in particular you are after? suprising what people on here have horded away :shock: :LOL:

mk one":u5i33vll said:
sunchaser":u5i33vll said:
mk one":u5i33vll said:

Yes, guess you right.

Anything in particular you are after? suprising what people on here have horded away :shock: :LOL:

Well, red Salsa skewers & a nice ti bar (nothing too narrow) for starters.
Got a couple of wtd threads on the go but, currently coming up short..

I was trying to find a decent light and short 25.4mm stem for my sons bike and could not believe how few options there are now. When did 31.8 fully take over?

I agree a lot of fairly common items have disappeared even more recent things like 1.5 headsets.

If I could find the 2 items in my signature, I would be very happy!

Back