When you can't afford retro shoes...

I bought some slim Slazenger shoes, they are slip on and have hard bottom and fit nicely into toe clips and straps.
Did have some Crane shoes from Aldi that lasted a very long time.
Have had toe clips since before I can remember, early 90's.
Best part is the Slazenger ones were under £20.
Pic below.

Attachments

• ba20210624_163257[10451].jpg
    ba20210624_163257[10451].jpg
    642.4 KB · Views: 14
I've got some Arturo shoes too. Lengthwise they come up exactly the same as a normal shoe - i.e. if you're a size 9 then get a 43. They are very wide though; no good if you've got skinny feet.

If you're pulling your feet out of the toeclips as you pull up, you might find it better with a shoe with a bit more of a toe cap. I've been riding in Converse for years which is really sneered at (and I accept it isn't ideal either), but the rubber toe cap really holds into a toe clip even when you're yanking up on the pedal with all your strength. You can get black leather ones for about £45 which actually look a little bit like a classic lace up until you get close.

I’d like to post a follow-up to the above. So I’ve had the William Lennon Arturo shoes for a few years. They didn’t last long. The inner sole is like a very thin stretchy fabric stuck onto what I can only describe as compressed cardboard. The fabric bit came off after about 5-6 rides, then the cardboardy inner sole started to get torn up.

I’m looking into changing it to a leather insole. I’m sure a proper cobbler could do it, but the local keycutter/cobbler didn’t think they could do it. I have some Kiwi leather insoles which might do it. I’ve mostly got the old insole out, it just needs a bit of heat to release the front bit of adhesive so I can get the sole out in one piece to use as a template. Started that job 3 years ago though…

I bought some slim Slazenger shoes, they are slip on and have hard bottom and fit nicely into toe clips and straps.
Did have some Crane shoes from Aldi that lasted a very long time.
Have had toe clips since before I can remember, early 90's.
Best part is the Slazenger ones were under £20.
Pic below.
Nice. Anyone wondering where to get shoes like this…. Look to Spo rts direct. Deliberately mistype as I hate the place, but…..

Latest posts

Back